Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, I am looking for the best cam for my application: (hot street/strip application)

Motor: 302, punched .040, factory rotating assembly, TFS twisted wedge heads, Weiand Xcelerator manifold, Crane rocker rollers, Edelbrock 600, Mac shortie headers, off road H, flowmasters, T5, & 8.8 rear.

Will probably convert to a built C4 next summer.

TFS says max lift is .540 ....

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gears are 3:73
Weight, approximately 3500
Exhaust, MAC shortie unequal headers, offroad H, 2 chamber flowmasters.

Compression, I have no idea, I am running flat top pistons, (.040 over) New TFS twisted wedge heads, factory rods and crank.

Thnx

·
Registered
30 Posts
My first suggestion, especially with the TFS heads, would be to let them breathe! swap that 600 for a Edelbrock 750, your volume swept by the .040" over will thank you for it...
next, what rocker ratio are you using? also, what is your ignition set up?
an excellent performance comibination i have found so far on my 302 includes the 750 Edelbrock, MSD ignition 1.7 Crane roller rockers (made specifically for the Cobra's) and Crane Cam # 449591. the lift is .529"/.544" with 220/226 duration. i have a strong C4 and haven't even touched the rear gears (2.80:1) i giggle everytime i slam the pedal to the floor.
good luck, and don't forget to let that engine breathe a little more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ignition: MSD pro billet distributor, 6AL control box, Accell super coil, FMS 8.8 wires, MSD 8680 adjustable timing control.

Rockers: Crane Energizers 1:6:1 rocker rollers

I was planning to jet up the Edelbrock carb, and I also have a modified Holley 1850 I could try out.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Not that what others have said do not have valid reasoning behind them but you simply do not "need" solid lifters for a street combo like yours. If you have a roller lifter block and have the money....key being "have the money" hyd roller is the best street/daily driver cam/valvetrain. If a non roller block is being used then go hyd flat tappet for ease of maintenance and ease on the wallet
You are somewhat limited by not having the proper valve reliefs but Im running a comp 280H mag(230/.512) with non TW pistons in a 351W...with TW heads. I would run at least that cam or I believe the newer XE274H(230/236/.520/.523) will work. If that sounds to scary on clearance
....go with the XE268H(224/230/.509/.512) which Im sure will work no prob. The simple fact is the limited piston to valve clearance you have is limiting you to cams that have duration and lift that have peak power around 6000 rpm and you dont need solid lifters for that rpm. Im stuck there too until I make proper changes

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the insights..... I was only planning to make power to about 6500 anyway.

I do want a slight lope or rough idle. (sounds great with headers
)

I just want it to breathe as well as possible, without changing out the pistons... Although I plan on tearing it down in a few weeks, we will see how it looks in there...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts