Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Got a question, (hopefully not to dumb!):
If I am using a new Comp Cams XE284, Comp Cams new matching timming gear set & new rotating assembly is there a real need to degree the cam? I do realise degreeing the cam will give me spot on phasing but is it really required for a street motor? I do want to get my timming spot on but am wondering if its worth the effort particularly as the Cam installation manual says it "really" doesnt have to be carried out?
Any advise much appreciated

Regards,
Martyn

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
"Street" motor??? That's a damn healthy cam for a street motor.

My own personal opinion is that degreeing the cam is a part of the engine building/assembly process. By verifying correct phasing and timing events you ensure you've got the right cam.

If you run into some other problems down the road, you've already degreed the cam and can eliminate it as a cause.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
It isn't really necessary to degree in the cam.I'd line up the dots on sprockets and call it good to go.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I couldnt tell you how many cams I have gotten that were a few degrees off. An engine builder is a different breed than an engine assembler

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: woody1 on 7/20/06 6:32am ]</font>

·
Registered
502 Posts
yes it is worth it if you can do it. cam companies have gotten much better at cutting the cams close to perfect, but they still throw out a bad one once in a while. usually tho they are within 1 or 2 deg which will pretty much run okay. knew a guy who put in a new cam and went about .2 quicker but had expected more. next weekend he was running in the faster class. when i asked what happened he replied he had finally degree in the new cam and it went another .3 quicker.

can be worth it.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I'll stick by my original response that it's not absolutely necessary to degree the cam. I do it and 9 times out of 10 have found the cam to be spot on or within 1* either way.

I have also found that advancing or retarding the cam 4* either way had no affect on the speed or ET.Maybe it was just the one cam I tried it on though,others may get different results.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
I have found that a couple degrees doesnt make a huge difference on WOT power, but it sure helps driveability.

I havent had one recently come in spot on, but none were over 2 degrees.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Not sure what piston/rotating assembly you are using but I'd certainly degree it in for peace of mind as with that much of a cam you'd certainly want to check out piston/valve clearance. P/V clearances certainly change during the overlap period.
I certainly have to agree with Woody1. Assembling an engine without checking clearances etc is like playing Russian Roulette.
Yes, the cam/timing chain assembly may not be too far off if at all but if you sunk any money at all in that engine blueprinting these small items can certainly save you grief in the long run. If it is worth building, it's worth building right.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys,

I have dummy'd up the assembly with the cam in phase using the marks on the crank sprocket & cam gear & have checked all clearances very carefully with no problems evident. Looking at my original question I think I worded it slightly wrong. I think what I am trying to assertain is lets say I degree the cam, (which I will do) & I find its 2 degrees out.
To correct this I would have to install cam gear offset bushes to correct the 2 degree error therefore what I am wondering is it worth doing this for a 2 degree error or if I didnt correct it would 2 degrees be noticable especially with a rough idling cam like this one?
Joe for information the engine is going in a Cobra replica so certainly will be lively! I will also be using it for occassional track days as well though.

Regards,
Martyn

·
Registered
502 Posts
if you didnt get a timing set with multiple timing keyways on the crank sprocket, you should have. keep it in mind for the future. i dont know many builders who still mess with the dowl pin bushings to adjust the cam timing.

if i were you i would still check the cam timing. if its bad, think about buying a multi sprocket timing set.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's as neccessary as checking clearances at the mains or rods, or piston to wall, or ring gaps...and if you DO catch it off then it's worth it 100%. Can anyone disagree with that???????

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Just What Is The Reason 4 DEGREEING THE CAM ?

I couldnt tell you how many cams I have gotten that were a few degrees off. An engine builder is a different breed than an engine assembler

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: woody1 on 7/20/06 6:32am ]</font>
Hi Guys (Newbie here)

I trying to understand lots of stuff concerning building my 289cid engine.
Just what is the reason for DEGREEING MY CAM. I bought the kit and special degreeing tools also.
But as hard as I try (I'll keep on tryin' ) to understand the how and Y of it.

Please if you call tell me the reason for all this degreeing stuff. I sure its very important.
As Simply as possible please.

THANK YOU GUY
GOD BLESS

Schooner :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
Re: Just What Is The Reason 4 DEGREEING THE CAM ?

A cylinder can only inhale and exhale when the valve is open.

They are opened by the cam ultimately. You degree it to make sure all valve events are happening when you expect them to

A difference of 2 degrees can be noticeable, 4 degrees is noticeable, and in some cases, different timing set combos could be 8-10 degrees off in later model engines

A secondary and equal job of cam degreeing is to veryify the cam you bought is what delivered. Part of cam degreeing involves verifying the cam is correct

1 - 15 of 15 Posts