Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I was changing my oil and noticed oil seeping around the dipstick base I went to check it out and the dipstick broke
as I unscrewed the "tie back", I fiddled with it for a while and said forget it so I called my mechanic and asked him he said you have to pull the timing cover to get it out. I said well I guess I should change the timing chain as well then, I guess the cam should be replaced and so on. I have a 1969 Mustang Fastback 302 very stock, I guess I should go with a roller timing chain any particular brand etc.? I know nothing about cam's except the concept of their function I read the article on the cams which help but I dont even know where I am starting at and would like to get more out of this motor I have a F4B eldebrock intake that is what it says on it, also I have a performer 289 from a 85 302 I am not sure if that will work so if someone could point me in the right direction as for the style cam and make. This is where the headers come in I figure if I am doing this and I have the stock manifolds why not upgrade the exhaust I was thinking the tri-Y's I dont know please any info would be appreciated

Robert

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 69Fstbk on 2/27/02 9:02am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
You don't have to remove the timing chain cover. It's possible to drill it out, tap it out, etc, but the easiest way would be to try threading a similarly sized bolt into the stub. If it will thread in some, you can use it to pull out the stub. If not, use a tap to do the same thing, but pack the flutes of the tap with heavy grease to collect the metal particles. I'd also change the oil & filter afterwards just in case (better safe than sorry).

-Brian

·
Registered
107 Posts
Before doing to many up grades,,,How sound is the motor???miles on it,,compression test,,,, I have seen people build up there top end on older engines only to have the bottom end fail....Also rings that are just sealing now may not stand the extra load place on them from added power.....Just my 2 cents....that would be about 1/2 a cent U.S. Russ..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ on 2/27/02 10:47am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did try a tap actually then a "easy out" it's really in there I was questioning that fact as well on the condition of the motor it supposedly was rebuilt right before I purchased it in Nov. but a lot of what this guy said isn't holding up I guess I should hold off just do the chain and see what happens from there Thanks

Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts