Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not a good day-last wkn the guy working on my car had it running on sat. i was at the shop on sunday car was running an sounded good-i was not present on sat-had no hsetation or misses idled great went back today he had valve covers off-said engine was ticking noise thought there was a problem with the lifters one of the rockers arms had alot of play took off the manifold pulled out lifter and the end was missing a fair peice of metal pulled the cam an the lobe was grounded-very rough-only one. he said he followed instructions that came with cam when he first started motor-the guy has a good reputation. could that cam be defective? or is this aproblem cause by improper break in period? he told me the breakin period is critical this was a kit from lunati-cam,lifters an springs anyone with any experience with this problem or knowdelge with cams give me a reply please
this is a 351c which was rebuilt a few yrs ago an left in a shop on a stand the engine sounded fine when i heard it

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds like you wiped out a cam lobe during break in. It happens. You mentioned that the engine was rebuilt a few years ago but never run. That could be part of the problem as whatever was used to lubricate the cam and lifters could have run off or dried up leaving the cam unprotected during the initial fire up and started the cam disintigration. It's almost never the problem of the cam or cam company, it's usually poor lubrication, improper break in or inadequate valvetrain component clearance that leads to wiped lobes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts