Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK im trying to figure out what cam I want to use in my 69 302 block. I dont know what type i should be looking for...Can anyone explain the difference between....Solid,Hydraulic Flat,Hydraulic,Hydraulic Roller,Roller...and any others im Missing? What options do i have? this is going in a street/strip 302 that im looking for 400+ hp. Thanks Ryan

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ryan, there are four basic lifter and cam styles. Hydraulic flat, solid flat, hydraulic roller and solid roller. Very basically roller lifters, simply because of the geometry involved, can open and close the valves faster and therefore allow an engine to produce more torque at any given RPM level. Hydraulic lifter cams have limited high RPM capabilities but don't have to have their lash adjusted periodically. If you plan on running more than about 6500 RPM hydraulic cams whether roller or flat are prone to produce valve float. Flat tappet cams and lifters whether solid or hydraulic are much cheaper than either style of roller cam. For a 400 HP 302, I would be inclined to go with a flat tappet solid because they're relatively inexpensive and you'll probably be turning the engine in the mid 6000 range, but all of the cam styles I mentioned could be made to work for you. A lot of it comes down to how much you want to spend.
If you want some help getting a good parts combination together that'll get you over 400 HP let me know. I've got a Performance Trends Engine Analyzer program with all the options. I just have to know what vehicle you'll be putting it in, what you'll be using the vehicle for, and how much you want to spend.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mach1morgan on 3/5/02 1:00pm ]</font>

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK the engine is going in a 67 mustang coupe. Im going to bolt it up to a TCI c-4 tranny with the converter they sell that is 3000-3500 degrees above stock. The rearend will be a ford 9inch with a detroit locker and 4.11 gears. So far for this project i have to use...eagle I beam rods. 69 302 block, KB 9.9.1 pistons and a stock crank. The engine needs to be streetable. Im trying to keep the engine's life as long as possible. Ive got about $6000 to spend...thats for everything...from oil pan to air cleaner to headers to fan. Which is alot for an engine i think. Im going down to Summit Racing on Saturday and im trying to figure out what i should get. So far what ive decided on is...... Air-Gap intake, Cloyes true Roller Timing gear, Milodon high volume aluminum water pump, Milodon street/strip oil pan, Speed Demon 650cfm carb with mechanical secondaries, msd Pro Billet distributor, Comp cams pro mag rockers. AFR 185cc Heads. melling high volume oil pump. What do you think? what type of cam specs should i be looking for? Im trying to make everything work best with everything and i want all the parts to coincide. What Do you think so far? What should i change? Thanks Ryan

·
Registered
355 Posts
3000-3500 stall is kind of high for the street. The 67 weights less than the late models, so realized "stall" will be somewhat lower, but still more than what I'd go with. Depends on your comfort level with having to really rev to get off the line every time, even when not racing. Also having a high cruise RPM on the hiway due to the stall.

you should also look into a fluid cooler to protect your tranny because the extra stall also causes heat. They are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
777 Posts
With that convertor a good cooler is a must. I had one (TCI 3500 convertor) in my 70 fastback and it worked well for an off-the-shelf convertor. It doesnt need reved anymore than any other convertor to just drive away from a stop sign. I had a 4500 stall convertor I used on the street for awhile too. It slipped alot at cruise speed on the hiway where the TCI convertor didnt near as much (not enuff for it to be a factor). But it (the 4500 conv) still was able to drive away from stop signs with ease.

It all depends on what you are comfortable living with on the street.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts