Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Ryan, there are four basic lifter and cam styles. Hydraulic flat, solid flat, hydraulic roller and solid roller. Very basically roller lifters, simply because of the geometry involved, can open and close the valves faster and therefore allow an engine to produce more torque at any given RPM level. Hydraulic lifter cams have limited high RPM capabilities but don't have to have their lash adjusted periodically. If you plan on running more than about 6500 RPM hydraulic cams whether roller or flat are prone to produce valve float. Flat tappet cams and lifters whether solid or hydraulic are much cheaper than either style of roller cam. For a 400 HP 302, I would be inclined to go with a flat tappet solid because they're relatively inexpensive and you'll probably be turning the engine in the mid 6000 range, but all of the cam styles I mentioned could be made to work for you. A lot of it comes down to how much you want to spend.
If you want some help getting a good parts combination together that'll get you over 400 HP let me know. I've got a Performance Trends Engine Analyzer program with all the options. I just have to know what vehicle you'll be putting it in, what you'll be using the vehicle for, and how much you want to spend.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mach1morgan on 3/5/02 1:00pm ]</font>
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.