Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a few things done to my stang like 373 gears, underdrive pullies, and h pipe with flows. im about to swap to a 5 speed then i plan on a bottom end rebuild and puttin on headers and an f303 cam. Is the cam worth the money? (i plan on intake and throttle body a.s.a.p but i heard a came swap might slow me down) PLEASE HELP thank alot

·
Registered
231 Posts
The stock cam is a really good piece and is good enough to run in to the 12's easily. If that's not fast enough though a cam swap can help. I can't recall the F cams specs off hand, but as a guideline for the street, choose a cam with duration of less than 225 degrees, a lobe seperation of 112 to 114 degrees and with a good lift to duration ratio. High lift helps power with out incurring penalties like poor low end torque, vacuum and fuel economy. Another option might be to get a set of 1.72 ratio rocker arms, upgrade the valve springs and just leave the cam stock. Your .444 lift cam becomes a .478 lift cam just with the rocker ratio change. It's true that simply changing the cam on an otherwise stock 5.0 will almost always slow the car down. The exhaust system should be very free flowing and the compression ratio increased before a cam swap will do much good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts