Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 XL convertible with 390, automatic transmission and 3.00 rear end. I will be installing a Blue Thunder intake, stock heads with mild porting and polishing, 428CJ valves, Sanderson shorty headers and a 600 CFM Autolite 4100 carburetor with about 9.5 compression to run on pump gas and no stall converter. I am hung up on a camshaft. I don’t care about how cool it sounds, I actually don’t want too much noise from the exhaust and I will not race it so I don’t care about real high rpms. This will be a daily driver that I want to be able to light up the back tires on occasion. I am considering Comp cams 260, 268 or 256. When I phoned Comp they recommended a 262. I am open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
I think the 268H is the best match for your application. Their XE262H is decent, but you are on the edge of compression for that one AND XE flat tappet lobes tend to be noisy

I wouldn't go less than a 268 because of the compression, and more you will lose torque. Final comment is that an FE needs a decent timing curve badly, whether its an aftermarket or original distributor, so after the cam buy, get a recurved distributor for 12-14 initial, 36-38 total, all in by 2800, with another 8-10 vacuum on top of that.

Should be a nice build, very close to Selash's here on the forum

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
That combination does sound familiar.:)
Sounds like we have the same goals for our cars.
Mine is in the machine shop now. I am installing the 268H.
If mine is done first, I will give you the scoop.

All the best.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
Had a 268 in my 69 mustangs 302, idled good cold, not bad street cam... Had a crane fireball(cant remember specs) in a 396 with a stock converter, got old real fast, sucked gas, had to choke the crap out of it to idle cold...had to warm up before even thinking of putting in gear. ran like a raped ape , as they say , at wide open throttle, but was no good at all to me.
put another 268 in there a couple weeks later, drove it for ten years everyday. One thing, on my 69 302, a buddy suggested advancing the cam 4 degrees to help bottom end- so i put a cloyes timing set in with the 3 keyways, advd 4 degs...wether only reqd in later years i dunno, but it did run good, good vacuum, decent idle, etc...
I dunno much about cam specs to say the least, but advice i got to run a 268 was appreciated. Id only ever bought 4 new cams, two were "too big" mistakes, the other two were 268s :) kinda like a rv/ towing grind, but a bit more top end than the shorter grinds. Was told the 268 for the 396 was just a smidgen over a factory 396/325 grind, good wel mannered street cam that still adds some punch...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the replies. I will let ya'll know how it turns out.

Selash, I will keep an eye on this for your thoughts when yours is running again.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts