Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is putting together a 5.0 for his 67 mustang..The shortblock is a stock 1987 5.0 HO and he is going to get a set of trick flow 170 heads and an air gap intake to top it off...The car is mostly a weekend toy with the occasional trip to the track..He is running a T-5 trans and 4:11s in the rear.My brother is very old school and would like some rumble to idle...Any camshaft recommendations for this combo?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Call Comp Cams and tell them what you have and they'll help select the right one for him. For an off-the-shelf cam how about one of their Thumper series? They sound like big race cams but are supposed to be pretty tame and with good street manners. When I say tame, don't mistake that to mean they don't make good power, it's just supposed to be good street power and not necessarly some high reving race engine. I've heard some pretty well know race engine builders recommended them for this type of application.

John

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
X2 on the Thump'r series, they sound more radical than they actually are but still can put some decent power out...

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the thumpr was one of the ones we were looking at..Most people on these type forums hate them but few if any have any actual experience with them...They seem to work very well from what little I have read in magazine articles(again to be taken with a grain of salt) and I know that Joe Sherman has said a couple of times that they do make good power.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Yes the thumpr was one of the ones we were looking at..Most people on these type forums hate them but few if any have any actual experience with them...They seem to work very well from what little I have read in magazine articles(again to be taken with a grain of salt) and I know that Joe Sherman has said a couple of times that they do make good power.
I was going to mention Joe Sherman's name but you knew that already. When I called Comp on my cam selection they also suggested them but others said I might be leaving some on the table and I believe they were only offered in "retro-fit" applications at the time. And since mine was a factory roller motor there was something about the cams base circle being different, so I went with another recommended grind of theirs.

John

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
How much is he willing to drop on this? Is he expecting to need lifters, spring package, cam and (1.6 or 1.7 depending) rockers? If so, then the OTS options open-up. For example, the new Lunati 280 mechanical street roller may be worth a look. For hydro, there are a number of picks, with the mentioned N41 from Anderson to Comp (don't ignore blower and nitrous grinds), Crane, Trick Flow and even Edelbrock offerings. If he needs to go cheap, then you'll need a cam to fit the profile with about .540 max lift to stay within the springs you have (unless you upgraded). A good one with ~225-232 @ .050 gets a bit tough, but doable. One up-side is the TF 170s have good exhaust balance, and cams with lots of exhaust duration are not needed with a good exhaust system.

David

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
He ordered the heads with the spring package for a hydraulic roller camshaft..I don't know any specifics other the springs are supposed to be good for .600L..Since he has the stock 5.0 pistons we were trying to stick close to the .550ish max lift recommended by trick flow..He has a set of almost brand new 1.6 crane energizer roller rockers on his old 302 combo that he was hoping to use with the new heads.What were you thinking on the lifters?..I think he was planning on running the stock ford lifters..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts