Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be putting a new cam in my car and I have removed all of the bolts and lifters out of the lifter valley. I put a bolt into the hole in the cam and went to pull. It won't budge. My 351w cam came out with no problems at all. Any suggestions on getting it out?

1969 Mustang Mach 1 4spd 351W, (temp)302
1997 Cobra RIP 4V Motor
1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440+6 4spd
2002 SVT Lightning, K&N, Trac bars, 555Rs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 19mach69 on 12/1/06 1:09am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
That doesnt sound good. You might need new cam bearings. If so you need to find out the reason that its seized in the bearings. Maybe the cam is bent? maybe ( HOPE NOT) the Bearing bores are shifted from original position? Either way if you need new cam bearings your talking full tear down so the machinist can check things out and pop new bearings in.
Good luck

·
Registered
712 Posts
Same thing happened on my Cleveland, the babbit on the bearing started separating, I finally got it out after some "persuasion", but had to go ahead and pull the engine to get new cam bearings installed.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It did turn freely until i moved it back and forth a bit. Then it stopped when I moved it back into the block. I was wiggling it a little and spinning it to have it come out. Nothing to extreme like pulling it hard up and down. Maybe I messed something up there. Either way thats not a good thing if I have to do a tear down because I don't want to rebuild this 302, just use it to play with a bit and learn on.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, everything is out, its just the cam that won't come out with nothing in the way to block it. I think I'm just going to go find a 302 or 351w because I need my car for monday or I'm a bit screwed.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Normal if the rear bearing is tight. You're fighting the suction seal created by the oil film. Put a length of 3/8 all thread in the nose, slide on something with mass that has a hole in it, put a washer and nut on the end and tap it out. Once it's out of the rear bearing, it'll go easy.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put a screw driver down the oil hole and pulled while pushing on a cam lobe. I heard a little sucking sound and pop, the cam came free. It came out way easier than expected. Thanks for all the help.

1969 Mustang Mach 1 4spd 351W, (temp)302
1997 Cobra RIP 4V Motor
1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440+6 4spd
2002 SVT Lightning, K&N, Trac bars, 555Rs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 19mach69 on 12/1/06 1:08am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 19mach69 on 12/1/06 1:09am ]</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts