Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
289 1963 2bbl from Gal XL 500 convert overhauling engine. Cam had .034 endplay. The thrust plate has countersunk holes with screws with odd fittings for removal not slotted or phillips. The unusual thing was that the trust plate was installed with the countersinks facing engine front and the tapered screws facing out. This should have been nearly impossibe to foul up on installation unless done on purpose for some reason. Also there may have been a Spacer left out some where for end play to be .034 ! Any comments? Thanks. Ill try to post some pictures. TG

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Checked the 289 that I have apart and it has thin headed hex bolts holding the thrust plate on. And the Ford shop manual shows the same thing. The shop manual shows a spacer between the timing gear and thrust plate/cam, but the timing gears that are available now have it built on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done some additional searching on Mustang forums, and I have most likely a very early 289 with the thrust plate with countersunk machine screw bolts that sit flush with front of plate. Doesnt really matter since gear lip rides inside of screwheads. BTW screws use a '' clutch " bit to remove. The problem is this plate is .216" thick and if it were .250" then the endplay would be perfect. Currently endplay measures .038". It doesnt appear to have worn that much, and maybe the prior overhauler left out a spacer. My cam gear looks like the one that doesnt need a spacer though. If not I need a spacer of approx .034" and don't know if they exist ( or a thrust plate that's .250" ). Any help? Similar problems with your early 289's. Thanks Tom G

1 - 3 of 3 Posts