Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may want to go to the fridge for a beer before you read any further.

Alright guys, here's the next installment.
I have the new cam in the block and I start checking the lobe position relative to the lifter bore. #5 intake(the one that went bad) is still way off. I mean the lifter never sees the full width of the cam lobe until max lift. Even then, it barely, I mean barely, catches the back of the cam lobe. Barely like by .001" type barely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is with the retaining plate in position and the cam turning in the same position it will with the cam gear on and torqued down.
Now here's the fun part, with the cam approximately .1" forward all of the cam lobes line up great with the lifter bores. Hell, even the bearing journals line up in the bearings better. At that .1" forward position all of the bearing journals are flush with the front of the bearing surface. I made a couple of washers to go between the retaining plate and the block and gave the bolts a little torque to get an idea of what it looked like. It looks good like that. The washers won't affect the cam/plate mating surface. With the cam gear on and torqued it will keep the cam tight to the plate. Here's the kicker.
Can those massive 1/4" couse thread by 3/4" long retaining plate bolts take it? Am I way out in left field here by wanting to move the crank forward? Comp Cams tech department is of course closed today and tomorrow. I've resigned myself to doing nothing until I get with them. I just wanted to post my continuing saga here for your amusement and to get some advice. Get Some!
Here's another point of interest, the cam journals on the Comp Cam are actually wider than the journals on my old Lunati. Me thinks this is why the Comp is farther back in the block. This Lunati cam had 30K on it and never gave me a bit of trouble, other than it being the wrong type of grind for my car that is. I'll check back tomorrow. Fords are fun!

Bozz

·
Registered
582 Posts
Something doesn't seem right. Are you sure you have the right timing chain set? Are you using a fuel pump eccentric? and is it the right one?
I don't understand that only #5 lifter bore would be off and not the others. And you said
that if you move the cam foward by .1 it is in the right place. Moving the cam foward by .1 would move all the lobes by .1 not just #5. and you said that #5 was just barely
going to catch the lifter by .001 and that moving the cam foward makes it line up perfectly? Moving the cam by .1 couldn't make it line up perfectly or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am running the same fuel pump eccentric that's always been there. The timing chain and gears are the correct set.
By moving the cam ahead all of the lobes line up better in the lifter bores. Without the spacers behind the retaining plate all except #5 intake line up half ass ok. It really rides toward the back of each lifter's bore. But moved ahead they all look much more centered in the bore. #5 intake just happens to be the one that went bad last time. That's why I'm being so weird about it being lined up and catching all of the lifter's foot.

·
Registered
359 Posts
have you considered setting the plug at the back of the crank in farther as opposed to useing spacers, as I recall mine sat kinda far back so I tapped the plug with a hammer.
mine didn't have one lobe off though so I am not sure if this helps

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting into Comp's Tech line is a pain in the ass! After about 2 hours of constantly calling the 800 number I gave up. I took a serious look at the placement of the lobes and how the lifter contact patch. I turned the cam over with the rockers torqued and then pulled each lifter to see what things looked like. Placement seemed ok. #5 intake still seems plenty far back in the bore, but the Comp placement was the same as the Lunati in that regard. Plus it finally occured to me that Comp purposefully grinds the lobes off center to promote lifter rotation in the bore. After I figured that out, I bolted everything down tight and said the hell with it. I put it together like I was "supposed" to and if it shells again, I'm yanking it and starting with the a different block!
I'm going to finish buttoning 'er up this weekend and break it in. I got some of the GM EOS **** and am going to pre-oil before I crank it up. Everybody cross your fingers for me. And now, I pray; Lord help me as I strive for SUCCESS. Thank you Jesus. Can I get an Amen?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts