Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks for repy on my post on 3\3\02 on power would a bigger cam make that much differance have a roller on my 408 stroker windsor with 536 lift on in. and ex. 218 228 at 0.050 i know its small but hate to rip it apart for small gain or would it be something i should do now, its a street car with auto trans. would i lose low end torque which i like. thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have world sr heads with64cc port matched with manifold heads are cncd about 10.50 comp ratio heads are cast iron.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mavman heres what i have cam wise lunati hydraulic roller part no.51017 218 228at .050 536 on in. ex. gross dur 276 286. cam i want to install is lunati part51012 232 and 242 at .050 lift at 544 and 560 says springs will match engine is pretty new less than 5000 miles on it probe pistons think it will clear my engine guy was going to put this cam in but decided to install the 51017 instead can i keep spring in just change cam what about lifters? thanks

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
First, find out why your engine builder installed the cam that he did. It could be because of piston-valve clearance, coil bind, or some other reason. If it was me and I was just building the engine, I'd go with the bigger cam....remember you now have 408 cubic inches, and they require lots of air and fuel to make them run like they should. If you should change cams, you should be able to use the lifters, you can do that with rollers, but not with flat-tappet cams. I dont think you'll lose any bottom-end torque cause really both cams are fairly mild relative to engine size. Actually, if nothing else, you might gain a little bottom-end. Check with your engine builder first, if all is ok, put the bigger cam in!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts