Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a lunati 230/230 512 lift grind in my 351w. Heads are pocket ported, rpm intake, headers 750dbl pumper holley. compression is about 9:1. Im looking to step up to a solid lifter cam for a little more performance. Dont really want to excede .512 lift though but of course thats after valve lash. Thinking of something around 240 Degrees duration because i want a little more than my 230 but of course after valve lash a 240 would only be about a 230 degrees duration. Anyone have any they recomend? Thanx alot

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I havent been to the track yet but it seems to run pretty good currently. Only pulls to about 5000 though then the power starts to fall off. Im hoping a little bit more camshaft and the addition of it being a solid lifter over hydralic will wake it up a bit more but we'll see. Im either looking at an isky camshaft or a comp magnum but not sure. Have fun.

Rich

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
It's the heads. Those heads were originally designed for a 221ci engine, and were never really changed that much as the engine grew to 260, 289, 302, and 351ci. They aren't big enough for a warmed over 289, let alone a 351.

You'll need to do some serious work to the heads or go aftermarket, if you want to pull some good horsepower out of that 351W.

With the heads you've got, camming the thing to spin over 5500 rpm will only kill off the lowend and midrange. The current heads will not produce anything but noise over 5k.

Even though the 351W has a better shortblock than the 351C, back before aftermarket heads came out, it was considered a DOG since it had a built in case of asthma. The 351C had the heads required to make power, the poor 351W did not.

You will have BIG smiles after replacing the stock heads with an aftermarket set, but not until. Don't waste your money on cams, etc. trying to make power with an engine that is breathing in and out through 'straws'.

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts