Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine just got a new camshaft for his 67 fairlane 302. the camshaft he removed hes just going to throw away, but i asked him if i could have it. will it work in a 64 falcon 289? i hope so cause that would save me a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he kept his lifters, i dont know the measurements of the new cam, is there anyway or anywhere i can get its dimensions and stuff then buy new lifters, rods, etc? i need to find out all that stuff.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Often there are numbers engraved/stamped on the front/back of the cam. Sometimes that helps, sometimes it doesn't. A good machinist can measure the cam and tell you the specs of it as well. Is it a stock cam? Or and aftermarket one?

Basically any cam that works in a relatively stock 302 will work in a 289, assuming the blocks are both early model blocks. You can use new lifters on an old cam with some success, just lube the hell out of them. I can't remember who, but there's a company that makes a spray coating that will help your new lifters 'break in' on an old cam. Your pushrods 'should' also work, but of course the best way to know is to measure. Remember also, do NOT use your old lifters on his old cam, unless you like metal particles floating around in your oil =). When you pull your cam, number or otherwise mark the lifters for what lobe they came off of on the cam, that way if you have any issues, you can restore your old cam and lifters without a problem.

Just a few suggestions

Cris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Is1BadFord on 10/1/06 10:26am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
hey you need to take the cam and have it refinished or reground, tell them to take the least amount off and square it off and get new or refurbished lifters..., or you can put it in and wipe out your cam within minutes or months...it is not worth the risk of just putting it in, even if you have the lifters and know which holes they came from ..i wouldnt risk it.(especially if you dont know which lifter came from which hole) i would get it reground and new lifters or get the lifters refurbished. then you are good to go with no worries. a cam from another block to me is as good as a rusty one sittin in the back yard. needs to either be matched if you love the mind and sound of it..or reground. btw wipe out your cam and not know till the rings and block are no good too.
but if you do know which holes each lifter came from...it could work.

you could always take that cam and have it matched with a new one custom ground or maybe they make it..many folk find they make it. and lots of places will measure it for specs and match it. such as isky and many others.. so cal esp.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trukstopcowboy on 10/1/06 6:10pm ]</font>

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so if i get the cam and get new lifters and new rods it should work? ill get it measured and find out. thanks.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Once you go to all the cost of this, it's often not much more expensive to just buy a cam and lifter kit from comp, crane, or one of the other cam companies =). Then you can get one that gives you everything you're looking to get, for sure, the first time.

Cris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts