Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 302 GT 40P engine. I'm wanting to know if there is a camshaft I could get that will sound good at an idle without having to spend a fortune on changing the valve train.( Rockers,springs,pushrods,lifters)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im have a F150 that blew a head gasket. So I bought a running 302 5.0 out of an 97 mountaineer which has the GT40 heads and intake on it. Since I had it out I'm replacing oil pump and timing chain. So wanted a cam that hit a lick when idling. Nothing major that I have to replace the valve train. My question is am I just wasting my time because the roller cam that's in it as big as I can go with everything stock?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd probably stick with what you have now and put a windage tray, better oilpan, and upgrade to roller tip rocker arms. Are you keeping the induction system from the 97 Mountaineer or changing it from the F150s engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ye
I'd probably stick with what you have now and put a windage tray, better oilpan, and upgrade to roller tip rocker arms. Are you keeping the induction system from the 97 Mountaineer or changing it from the F150s engine?
[/QUOTE
Yes keeping the upper and lower GT 40 intake

·
Registered
51 Posts
You're wasting your time. Unless you are willing to dump the GT40 heads for some aftermarket good breathing heads, you will never get the performance you want. 302's don't want to gain noticeable HP without better heads, period.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts