Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1976 Ford Torino with a 351w I already installed a single plain intake manifold a 600 cfm Holly carb and long tube headers I want to install a camshaft that gives me the most power without having to change everything. Any ideas what I can do would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I have a 1976 Ford Torino with a 351w I already installed a single plain intake manifold a 600 cfm Holly carb and long tube headers I want to install a camshaft that gives me the most power without having to change everything. Any ideas what I can do would be appreciated thanks
What heads do you have? You can't really install a performance cam shaft without the appropriate changes to the rest of the cam train. The stock parts can't deal with a bigger cam.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Need to know quite a few things like rear gear ratio, tire height and intended use of the vehicle.

A 76 Grand Torino is a big car (by today's standards) and heavy. You would want decent torque in the low to mid rpm range if it's a street car. If it's a strip oriented car then mid range and high rpm power is what you crave.

Since you have already installed a single plane intake I hope you have decent cyl. heads to take advantage of what that intake will do for you. You will lose decent torque down low with that intake manifold and heads that can't flow the air needed to perform properly.

Post back up with the intended use of your car and we can better help with some cam advice to suit your combo.

Tony

·
Registered
486 Posts
Not to mention stock valve springs and rockers. A cam in the 220's @ .050 and "around".500 lift is about all it will stand. No worry about piston to valve but the stock valve springs will limit rpm to a shade over 4,500 rpm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts