Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would the splines on output shaft of a C4 tranny currently behind a '74 302, be compatible with a '67 289? My friend believes that this tranny would not work with his 289, but we're hoping it will. Could someone please help me try to understand what would be required to make this swap? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
If the '74 C4 came from a 302 it will bolt right up to a '67 289.The input splines on the early pre'70 C4 is 24 spline and the later '70 and up is 26 so you will need the converter for the '74 trans to make it work.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Be careful the bell housings may be different. I think the 289 might be a 5 bolt bell housing like the 260 have. If you have the housing from the 289 you might be all set.
Others will know more but I think the bell housings are different.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What year exactly did they start making 289's with the 6 bolt pattern, 65? Mines a 63, so if I wanted to put in a '70s c4 then I would need to use my original bellhousing?
Only thing is I currently have a factory 2 speed(Fordomatic), what would I have to do, find a 5 bolt bellhousing from a 65 or earlier c4?

·
Registered
660 Posts
They switched to 6 bolt in 65, I believe there was a little overlap however.

To fit your 5 bolt you can use a bell housing from a pre 65 automatic, but be carefull and make sure you match your flexplate/starter/convertor/engine plate.

The six cylinders (60+) used a 5 bolt bell as well, but I'm not sure what torque converter, starter, etc. will work with those. They may have used the same stuff as the earlier 5 bolt v-8's????

good luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Actually, no. The "C" code 289 did come out in 63, and was available in the Fairlane and Galaxie. Also available was the 260, but I assure you I have an original 63 289. Thanks for the help though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.