Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an easy thing to do, but embarassingly, my speedo doesnt work, (bad cable) and its low on a long list of things to do. I plan on driving to California from Boston this summer, an id like to figure mileage out so i can budget. I have a 63 fairlane with a 5.0 HO. It has trick flow twisted wedge heads(2.02/1.60) and the trick flow stage 1 cam. I think compression is somewhere near 11:1. Behind it is a T-5 manual and a traction-loc 8in w/3.55 gears. If any one can give me a ball park, it will really help me plan. (I know i should fix the speedo, but im spending my time elsewhere trying to make the car reliable for this long haul!) also, if anyone has done a long road trip i would really apprecitate any suggestions(parts to upgrade, or bring along, tuning changes to improve mileage etc.) Thanks guys! -joe

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd just top off the tank, then take a road trip of at least 80 miles. Use a map program on the computer (such as maps at http://www.yahoo.com) and figure out about how many miles the trip is. Then go to the gas station and see how much gas you need to put in to top it off again.

Now you have the miles you went and the gallons you used to go these miles. Divide the miles by the gallons and you have an approximate MPG. Ex: If you went a 100 miles and used 10 gallons you got 10 mpg.

Road trips are great but I'd recommend a cell phone and 24 hours towing coverage.

You could improve your milage by changing out the 3.55 gears (temporarily) for something really high, such as 2.50 or something. High gears are easy to find for cheap in junkyards. Your mileage should improve significantly and you will have less engine wear.

You might want to consider bringing earplugs too. Sounds like your car has performance exhaust. It sounds great in town but after 10 hours of listening to it you'll have a ringing in your ears.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wildcat on 1/28/02 11:50pm ]</font>

·
Registered
672 Posts
On road trips, my brother and I usually take a cooler filled with coke and ice, with drinking water too. Some potatoe chips, some candy bars, and about 5 gallons of water. A cell phone, and we leave about two hours earlier than we usually would, to compensate for time lost if the car decides to give us problems. An lots of cd's.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Duct Tape is essencial, um that rubber type tape that will fix a belt if it breaks and you dont have an extra. First aid kit and a set of tools/wrenches and I always like to have my trusty floor jack and stands with me. Water and water and more water is always good for you and your car. But the cell phone is also one that you'll need, not only to save yourself, but for peace of mind.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you have a Bigblock with dual intake,
fill the tank to the top, drive about 100,
and count how many times you have to refill.

just a joke

think wildcat said all

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
cool, I thought I was the only guy that liked those 2.50 gears. I put a set of 2.25's out of an old lincoln in my '83 f100, 460/c6. I love them, I get 16 mpg, and it'll still run 11's at the strip. I would change the gears for sure, it will help a bunch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts