Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 56 years both of my door side mirrors have now fallen off my Galaxie. Can anyone recommend a good adhesive that will last me another 56 years? I'll be 125 by then and won't care if they fall off again.....................

·
Registered
172 Posts
The glass from the mirror to the chrome frame? Or the mirror assembly to the door which is normally screwed down?

I don't know for sure but I'd be tempted to try rearview mirror glue that hold the metal button to the glass on newer cars assuming the glass fell out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the mirror and chrome mirror housing that has come apart on both. Each corner of the mirror (4 places) had a spot smaller than a dime that was originally glued at the factory.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
I used Elmer's Probond going over 15 years ago for all of my glue-in window glass and mirrors, and they're still solid, stored outside. It's a slightly expanding polyurethane glue that cures with moisture in the air. Titebond, Gorilla, and others now make similar products I've used. Follow directions — a little dab'll do ya. Figure how you're going to clamp or tape it in-position for curing before you apply.;)

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Our 99 Taurus DD, wife popped mirror part out by hitting mailbox. Same as yours 4 little spots. I used 4 little daubs of silicone sealant after cleaning and taped it tightly to housing for 2 days. Still there after 5 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After 56 years both of my door side mirrors have now fallen off my Galaxie. Can anyone recommend a good adhesive that will last me another 56 years? I'll be 125 by then and won't care if they fall off again.....................
3M has a double-sided tape made specifically for bonding emblems and mouldings to cars. I've found that it works well, but certainly can't vouch for it with mirrors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts