Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok let me start with this first. why do cams require a certain stall speed anyways? is it only cuz so it won't bog?

ok i have a 73 mach 1 and i'm putting in anothe 351w in it. but the cam i like requires a 2800 stall converter. thing is that i never accelerate to that rpm. i only accelerate between 1500-2500. 2500 being max and if only if i am pissed off. well with a mileage 3.0 gear it's kind hard going past that without flooring it.

my question is : if my cam likin requirings a 2800 stall can i get away with one that is 2400-2600 stall? i mean that i only 200 less stall. could i get away with it????????

olie

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XolieX on 3/15/02 8:49am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
You can usually get by with a bit less stall than what the cam recommends unless you have built a fairly radical setup. With a really radical motor a few hundred rpms off on the stall can make for some major unhappiness.

To try and answer your question, as you go more radical with your cam it requires more idle rpms just to crank up and run. If you have a tight(low stall) converter that lugs the motor down when you drop it into gear and it can acutally kill out the motor or you wind up having to idle it way up in neutral. When you drop it into gear it will clunk down real hard and will try and creep on you which means having to put too much brake pressure on it just to keep it from pulling forward.

The other situation being way understalled does is that it makes the motor try and start to pull way below its torque band which makes it feel like the motor has no power. It would be kind of like taking off in second gear all the time.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
If you hardly ever go over 2800 rpm, running a cam that recommends a converter that stalls that high probably won't make you happy. Get a cam that has a power band that suits your driving style, and be happy. If the cam wants to run 3000-6000 rpm, and you spend the vast majority of your time below that, you won't be happy. The car will feel like a 'dog'.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you never rev your engine over 2500 RPM you shouldn't be putting a cam that requires a 2800 stall converter in it. You should be looking for a very small low RPM torque grind, which will work well with a stock converter. 2500 RPM is very low and is well below the peak power RPM of even a stock engine, so there is no point in using any higher RPM parts. You'll just lose torque in the RPM range that you run in. You need a cam with an intake duration of 185 to 195 degrees at .050 lift for torque under 2500 RPM and a cam like that does not need a converter to work well.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it seems as if ONLY high duration cams is what makes power. if this is so, i'll just get another traction-lok rearend. maybe a 3.70 instead of my mileage 3.0

1 - 5 of 5 Posts