Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked and looked but see no Forum called 'Mechanic Wanted or For Hire'. Is there a way to find a vintage Ford mechanic ?

I could probably ask at Williams Grove during the Outlaws.

There are plenty of 'new car mechanices' around, and they probably know what they're doing, but I think what I'm looking for is a backyard/home-garage guy.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sure, why not? No one will complain. Someone in your area might be a member here and know of someone.

If you don't get many responses, you might look around for small, older garages nearby. Like ones that used to be gas stations years ago and still do oil changes, etc. There are several near me that fit that description. Then look the ones you find up on Google and read the reviews. Hopefully you can find some with 10-20+ reviews and read through them. Keep in mind anyone can post reviews so if the place has lots of good reviews, don't necessarily be scared off by one or two one-star reviews, especially if the review is dozens of lines long, full of grammar and spelling errors, etc. I.e. try to weed out the nut jobs and people with axes to grind. I've had good luck finding garages and other businesses using this approach.

Assuming you have other, newer cars, you could always bring one of those in first for an oil or coolant change, tire rotation, etc. and get a feel for the place. Mention you have an old car with a carburetor and points that needs some work and see if the owner seems interested. If they are honest, they'll tell you if they aren't really set up for that. Maybe they can recommend someone who is. The guy I take my newer cars to for oil changes, I asked about setting toe-in on the Galaxie and he didn't do it himself but recommended an alignment place and that place did a great job.

Good luck

Pat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carlisle and Newville PA. There's a 'small' garage out of Boiling Springs, another just out of Boiling Springs another direction. There's a few in Newville too.
I'd prefer a guy that used to work on cars, that would like to work on an old car occasionally as I have others that need work too. I also don't want to pay Joe Biden prices.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Dang minsc! I know that is actually not bad but it still seems crazy pricey to me.
I must be a s%*t instead of a w#&re cuz I work for way less than that on the side.
I usually rationalize that if I'm working on someone else's stuff I save more money than anything. To get paid on top is like a double income!
I'm in central Ohio but honestly want to finish my big project before I take on other's stuff again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts