Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I think it's a lot easier to do it that way.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Be sure to plug the tranny tailhousing or you will have a big mess.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Nah, easy way to drain the trans LOL.

I very rarely pull only the motor. If I have to yank the trans, I usually pull both - it's just easier in the hotrods. Maybe not in all cars.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes,,,, jack the back of the car way up and she will slip right out, use cardboard and friends to avoid rubbing the engine and trans against the car. works great! Tom

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I'd pull the radiator just to be sure you have no worries there ... once you have that out ... you can determine if the water pump is any issue as for your comfort factor regarding clearance ... pull it if you think you ought to ....

As stated ... plug the tranny tail shaft ... and you should be 100% good.

In most cases for me ... having the "tranny lube leak" issue covered is the biggest concern ...

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
It's easy. I even put my engine and trans back in with my Gearvendors overdrive unit attatched. That took some real work but I did it. Lets just say I had to jack the car up real high and a forklift was used instead of an engine hoist and I have some pretty high ceilings. I was shocked that I stuffed that whole thing in and on the first try too!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would suggest a "load leveler" for your hoist. It's a kind of treaded bar with chains at each end and a crank handle. As you turn the crank it will cause the engine/tranny to tilt. Got mine at NorthernTools.com. Otherwise, do what Tom said, jack up the rear. Invite a friend over. It's always nice to have an extra set of eyes watching when you handle something that big and heavy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts