Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like to put a 428 Cobra Jet in my wife's Prius for her birthday later this year. Just as a surprise. Is it possible?

I don't want to hear any crap about it voiding the manufacturer's warranty either! Just a simple yes or no answer will suffice.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I would really like to put a 428 Cobra Jet in my wife's Prius for her birthday later this year. Just as a surprise. Is it possible?

I don't want to hear any crap about it voiding the manufacturer's warranty either! Just a simple yes or no answer will suffice.
Yes

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Buy an angle grinder first.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Are u wealthy? I would think the mods necessary to make it work would be uber expensive. I get surprising the wife but if it were me I would drop that 428 in a chassis worthy of such an epic engine. Sorry....just had to throw that out there! Anything can be made to work if u got time,money and patience!

·
Registered
830 Posts
You'll need a sikorsky to drop that thing in there from 500 ft....

How about doing a Chevy hp upgrade? Get some 428cj valve cover decals, and perhaps a pair of snake fender emblems.... ;)

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Really surprise her with a big throbbing.....er......427 Cammer.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Get her a better surprise and get rid of the Prius. Get a Shelby gt500. Will be cheaper.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Another yes, but do you realize how much work you're talking about. A full frame is the only way this is gonna happen or that little car will look like a pretzle on it's first outing. What you're going to end up with will probably end up more like a Pro Stock car than a drivable Prius. I'm betting none of the electronics are going to fit back under the dash either.

Buy her a cool hot rod and move on........

John

·
Registered
241 Posts
Considering you had to ask I have to assume you've never done an engine swap. As stated, it can be done, the real question is why the heck you would want to? Butt ugly front wheel drive hybrid Toyota is not worthy of a big block engine of any kind, no matter how ironic it may be... That said, post pics if you decide to do it! If the batteries are still good, you may be able to sell them to partially fund the project.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Get a new wife. You don’t want one that likes Toyotas. Even a Chevy loving wife would be an improvement. LOL

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Get a new wife. You don’t want one that likes Toyotas. Even a Chevy loving wife would be an improvement. LOL
This man speaks the truth!

But seriosly, with enough KY and money anything is possible except stuffing a 428 into an econo crap box, hell the drivers valve cover would be right under the steering wheel!

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
This man speaks the truth!

But seriosly, with enough KY and money anything is possible except stuffing a 428 into an econo crap box, hell the drivers valve cover would be right under the steering wheel!

the question is .... Can It Be Done , answer is YES

each to their own thing

·
Registered
571 Posts
Now that you know it can be done, the secondary answer is no you should NOT do it. There are people out there that have put 460's in Mustangs, but any time I've read about it the car is only good for the drag strip at that point.

A way better project with the same concept would be a Miata with a 302ci. They nearly drop right in. You'd still need suspension upgrades but it'd be way more streetable and I'm sure the wife would be happier to boot.

·
Registered
689 Posts
While it's true that there isn't much that people won't try, I think we're getting our legs pulled here!

Why stop at a 428 CJ? Why not put in a rocket engine? You may be able to pick one up cheap now that the shuttle program has wound down. Go big or go home!

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
While it's true that there isn't much that people won't try, I think we're getting our legs pulled here!

Why stop at a 428 CJ? Why not put in a rocket engine? You may be able to pick one up cheap now that the shuttle program has wound down. Go big or go home!
might not be pulling any legs , just a dreamer .

from his past post , he has low level skills for that type of swap .
with that said , leaves out the rocket engine , maybe a sparkler tape on the rear bumper

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'd love to see the look on Al Gore's face...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts