Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just purchased a 302 thats been bored .030 and has a SCAT rolling assembly in it. the problem is the guy cracked the block retorqueing it after the 20 minute run in.
I have purchased a 347 race preped block from Summit and was just wandering with only 20 minutes on the bearings and rings could I use the bearings and rings in the old block or is that just out of the question?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Most likely the rings won't work anyways. I personally would not reuse the bearings for various reasons. If you get a Scat rotating assm balanced it comes with the rings and bearings.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Could work for 100,000 miles, and could spin a bearing and throw a rod in 5 minutes....

There's no telling without assembly and clearance testing. Why do it when the balancing of the crank should come with bearings like Arney said.

The Rings should be FILE fit to EACH cylinder. I think they're absolutely reusable in the new block, unless they're too small.... I.E. The gaps too wide. It totally depends on the new cylinder walls.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Could work for 100,000 miles, and could spin a bearing and throw a rod in 5 minutes....

There's no telling without assembly and clearance testing. Why do it when the balancing of the crank should come with bearings like Arney said.

The Rings should be FILE fit to EACH cylinder. I think they're absolutely reusable in the new block, unless they're too small.... I.E. The gaps too wide. It totally depends on the new cylinder walls.
clean and fitting is correct , I also see no problem

forgot , he's just changing the block

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
He couldn't but he could pull the threads out of the block. Even that is repairable.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Hi, I just purchased a 302 thats been bored .030 and has a SCAT rolling assembly in it. the problem is the guy cracked the block retorqueing it after the 20 minute run in.
I have purchased a 347 race preped block from Summit and was just wandering with only 20 minutes on the bearings and rings could I use the bearings and rings in the old block or is that just out of the question?
If you are just changing the block and using the rotating assembly, you could reuse rings and bearings assuming no wear or damage.

·
Registered
391 Posts
bearings yes,rings no. the rings and cyl walls have already been cycled.surface finish of the bores on the first engine may have been rough.and already started to seat the rings.rings are cheap.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
bearings yes,rings no. the rings and cyl walls have already been cycled.
+1. The point of ring break-in is to perfectly mate those specific rings to that specific bore. Assuming they were moly filled or plasma moly, the fine ring edges are already broken-in and seated to the old bores. While they might break into the new bores eventually, it would take a very long time if they ever did. If they were plasma moly, the break-in coating is already gone as well. I would not hesitate to replace the rings and break them in properly. The bearings are, as already said, a measurement affair.

David

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
just need to know how to tell if the ring is good to reuse in another block

the bore wears more than the ring , if that info isnt known

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
If you got Iron rings or Moly Rings I say use them. There is no known science that tells you otherwise.

Like Dan said, the bore wears more than the rings do in most cases, and with a fresh hone the RING is going to be Scuffed by the Cylinder During the new initial break in period. (Which with a roller cam is totally unnecessary) but nice for helping the rings and cylinder bore get acquainted with each other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK I will ask the Question nobody else did. How do you crack a block retorqueing the heads?

Answer same as his...
Re: Can I reuse bearings & rings ??
i had a roller block that cracked at the center top head bolt holes,craked from the hole to the coolant passage.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Answer same as his...
Re: Can I reuse bearings & rings ??
i had a roller block that cracked at the center top head bolt holes,craked from the hole to the coolant passage.
see 400 sbc cracked like that , never seem's to bother them

·
Registered
15 Posts
is a 347 race prep bore the same as a 302 0.030 over?

not enough ring gap can ruin your whole day!

answered my own question...4.030 bore, 3.4" stroke, 5.400" center-to-center connecting rods

just google that $#!T

I'd spring for new rings if it were my mill. Just not worth the chance of gouging up a hole.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts