Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my '84 F-150 has the hall effect dist. and an EEC-IV computer. hey are both stock. i am dropping a stock 302 short block with a comp cams XE268H cam with 268/280 dur. and .509/.512 lift. and some 289 ported heads, roller tip rockers, 1 5/8" x 3" headers. the comp ratio should be above 10:1. so my question is can i still use the stock computer and distributor or is it better to switch to a duraspark? i don t know what all hooks up to the computer to make this thing run but i do know that when i pulled the motor the O2 senors weren t hooked up, there was no crank sensors, and a couple wires that hooked to the stock 2bl. oh and of course the plug in to the distributor and coil. what needs to be all there to retain this system? the wires are all jumbled and i don t know if i even want to go this route but what do you guys think, the org. motor had a melted #4 piston maybe due to detenation cause all the sensors weren t hooked up. am i running into a big mess? or is it just better to get a duraspark, recurve it and get a good coil and ignition box. don t mention a msd, or mallory dist. don t have the $250 or $300 for one, and i don t think it is really neccesary either. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
An 84 F series should have a Duraspark ignition to begin with, EFI wasn't used in the trucks until 86(some apps) and 87 for all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it doesn t have efi, it has some kind of electric carb, but there is a computer under the dash and the distributor is like the ones in the later trucks with efi.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My truck is an 84 w/351W it came with a dual venturi carb, and it had the tfi distributor. When I put a new intake and carb on it i swaped to a duraspark system and used the old tfi coil. works well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts