Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious as I am looking for disc brake spindles for my 68 and I have an extra set of mustang II spindles lying around fromwhen I put mustang II ifs on my torino. I will be doing a rack and pinion conversion which uses mustang II tie rod ends but will the upper and lower ball joints work? how about the suspenion geometry? Just curious Thanks

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
My first though was to say "no" but I remember an old article in a mustang book where they were doing a "Pinto" front end swap when it was still new technology.They put the front end into a 1970 mustang drag car and they kept the original 1970 spindles and front drum brakes so the ball joints are the same between the two...If it would work this seems like an easy front disc swap.Maybe it was never popular because of the 4 lug front rotors?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
these spindles are aftermarket and are set up for big five lug rotors so I will try them.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
My first thought is no too, I don't have any specifics, so it wouldn't hurt to at least hold them up and see if they're close.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would say I'm pretty sure it works. Last week I aligned a 66 Mustang 2+2 that had 1976 Maverick spindles on it. That was the only thing he had changed, he said they bolted right on. So I'm guessing that it works.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the upper and lower ball joints the same size I just realized that the 68 is rear steer and the mustang II is front steer. I wonder if I could flip them? Oh well I guess I will try them and see. Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think he flipped them because the steering was in the back. As for ball joint size, I'm not sure since he had all new ball joints on it. He said he had to use the outer Maverick tie rod ends and they matched up to the stock sleeve. Hope that helps, wish I would've asked more questions about it.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The maverick is an easy swap because it is similiar to the old style mustang where the mustang II is a totally different setup...In the article I was referring to it said the ball joints where the same between the "pinto" front end and the 1970 mustang they were working on.As far as I know the pinto and mustang II front ends are identical except for frame width.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm curious about this as well. I can get some really nice aftermarket pinto spindles for relatively cheap, and was considering changing my 66' to a front steer rack setup, seeing as how I can pick up an appleton front steer rack for 300$ brand new, and everything I can find in rear steer is going for over 1000$ =/. I really haven't gotten around to checking any measurements, and while I'd rather keep my 66 V8 drum brake spindles (due to a custom disk brake setup) and reverse them...I think that's a big no no lol.

Cris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts