Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, no matter how much I struggle, I can't get the center caps on my smoothie wheels! I spent years working in tire shops, and tried everything short of cutting or grinding. I spread grease on the nubs that are supposed to hold them on, and bought a hubcap installer/remover tool. All I'm accomplishing is denting the caps. Are there different size caps or what? I'm getting very frustrated. The wheels would look MUCH better with the caps on.
Any ideas??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
15x8 with 4" backspacing I'm pretty sure. Tires are regular old 235/75-15. Lil bit of rubbing at full steering lock, but I'm thinking about cutting a coil and going with some 215 or 225/70-15 in the front when it starts bugging me too much.

That link shows the nubs facing outward from the middle of the wheel. Mine face inward, toward the lugnuts. The caps seem like they should fit perfectly in there, but I just can't get them to snap over no matter what I try. It's like they're maybe 1/8" too big in diameter. My next thought is to take some pliers and tweak the entire ring inward on the caps. I'll try to take some pictures to explain it better tomorrow.

Edit: I found a spot on their site that explains how to measure mine, so I'll do that tomorrow!
Thanks for that link!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Cool no problem on the link. I don't know why but your smoothies look way better than mine even without the caps. Must be the 8" depth as mine are 7". I took my caps off cause I like deep but I still need something better. I have a rim picked out but am not sure what size tire I am going to fit. I am for sure going with a 275/60 rear but also plan to cut a coil and still fit at least a 235/60 but not sure if it will turn without issue. Oh and my tires currently are a 235/75/15 but look way skinner than yours.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
15x8 with 4" backspacing I'm pretty sure. Tires are regular old 235/75-15. Lil bit of rubbing at full steering lock, but I'm thinking about cutting a coil and going with some 215 or 225/70-15 in the front when it starts bugging me too much.

I am surprised the front are rubbing, We have 235/70-15's and they dont rub? Hope the tires I just ordered will fit.

I took my caps off cause I like deep but I still need something better.
I hear you on the deep dish, it makes the car look much better IMO

Referance pictures for front tire size and rear deep dish

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yeah I love the way yours looked there and the way it is now after narrowing the rear. I did notice my fronts rub a lil on I think the full right turn. I think going to a 60 series is gonna help with keeping things from rubbing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the wagon! Yeah the extra inch does give a different look. I had the same tires on stock wheels and didn't really notice rubbing. The tires looked very narrow with the stock wheels. I'm going to look for my tape measure so i can figure out what's going on with my caps. Just moved so it's fun trying to figure out where everything disappeared!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Lol! I know how that is. Thanks for the compliment on the wagon. I cant wait to get some custom wheels on it and drive it! :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, i measured the wheels and they're for the regular 7.5" cap. The caps are closer to 7.75 or something, just can't get them on, but i hope i can figure something out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts