Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine is all together and I have everything except the dipstick. If someone can take a picture of the factory dipstick for the FE and include the length, location of the full and add mark and possibly a part number. I know where some are that might fit, but I want to be sure when I go to get one. I sure am needy. I have been told there is a later model dipstick that is marked for 6 quarts of oil. Is this true? I plan on running 6 quarts in my engine since I added a windage tray. I do have the tube.

·
Administrator
21,843 Posts
Part # C7AE 6750-A on mine
20" from tip to just below the top of the cap that goes over the tube. Meaning about where the tube is at it's furthest insertion depth.
1 9/16" from tip to ADD
2 11/16 from tip to FULL

Forgot pic!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. If I can not find the right one I will modify another one to work.

·
Administrator
21,843 Posts
I just realized when i got it in the right light that there is an ADD 2 quarts and Add 1 Quart line. The measurements i gave is for the add 2 quarts. Remeasuring right now to get all the lines. Never noticed that before, i would just see the add and add a quart. Never ran it lower than a quart before. Amazing what you see on something so simple when you truly look at it. :)

Ok here we go! Just needed to add the "ADD 2" mark.

Full --- 2 11/16"
Add 1 - 1 9/16"
Add 2 - 5/8"

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to dig through some dipsticks tomorrow. Hopefully one will be right. The thing is, I had a spare and I lost it.

·
Administrator
21,843 Posts
I had to find one when the end of mine got broke off because i had a sword handle on it and a few years of swinging around so to speak, it broke the top off. It was actually meant as a dipstick handle but way too heavy.

Pics, hopefully this helps.

Automotive exterior Vehicle Roof

Wire Metal Electrical supply

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Besides measurements of dipsticks, we need to know how far the tube is sticking out of the block. That way, the dipstick measurements will have relevance.

·
Administrator
21,843 Posts
Dave, sure glad i am not named favre and am broke unlike him! LOL

True Danv and that did cross my mind this morning. I bit slow these days. I'll add what length mine is and he can go from there and Dave, hush!

Tube is approx. 7 9/16" used tape measure and then removed stick and used it to measure as the tube has a curve in it. Still came out to 7 9/16" - 8"

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I struck out on the dipstick hunt today. I don't know how all the dipsticks I have access to are from GM products and too short to make work. My tube is the one that came on the engine out of my 62. It is the style that blots to the front of the head. I will measure it tomorrow.

·
Administrator
21,843 Posts
Maybe your tube will be shorter or something and you can make the others work. Mine is pushed into the front of the block and a support flange bolted.

Here's a write up on dipsticks, maybe it would be of help somehow. Mine the engine was out of a truck, 4x4 at that, maybe it's longer or shorter. I swapped oil pans and believe i used my dipstick from the '67 mustang engine i had. So maybe a short gm will be workable? Need someone with a '62 to measure theirs.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/dipstick.htm

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
According to Barry R who wrote the new FE book, he says that you can use a 302 dip stick, and then mark the full level.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which 302 dipstick? The front mount style or the side mount style?

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
He doesn't say. He just says the common 302 dip stick, whatever that is.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It has to be the front mounted one. It is 20 1/4" where as Deb said hers is 20". I think I will go that way since I am going to have to remark it anyway for the extra quart of oil. Thanks everyone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts