Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tremec TKO 500

I went to the track last night and couldn’t find 3rd gear. I know it’s not the driver, I missed it 3 times in a row and I’ve hit it every other Friday night without a problem.

I thought it might be the clutch so I adjusted it out a little, it’s all mechanical linkage with the Z bar, but no joy, same issue. I can sit there run through the gears just fine. Just not at 7k. It just won’t go in.

I haven’t had a chance to take it out on the street to see if it’ll go in under normal RPMs 3 to 4 K.

Any ideas? Do TKOs have synchronizers? If so could this be my problem. Another thought might be the shifter. I still use the stock red base shifter. I might try upgrading to the B&M Ripper shifter it that seems to be the problem.

Check my signature for more info.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
A freind of mine kept having a problem with third in his. Twice in a row.
He was using the stock red base shifter as well.
It think that was what caused the problems, since it doesn't have any shifter stops. My theory was the shifter was moving to far and bending the forks and causing other havoc.

·
Registered
477 Posts
A freind of mine has a tko 500 in his '94 and it does the exact same thing.It flat wont go in 3rd on a powershift or even a fast granny shift.I've driven the car and I missed 2x in a row-the shifter feels like it goes in but when you let out on the clutch nothing there.When you drive normally there is no problem-only when you try to shift in a hurry.
He has a pro-5.0 shifter,uses GM syncromesh fluid,and has adjusted the clutch a thousand times.He also broke the trans in the recommended 500 miles before abusing it.
Bottom line from what I've read/seen is that some 500/600 owners have this problem while others say theirs shift fine.
There is also a huge thread on this issue on Corral.net,under the Drag Racing forums.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The shifter is usually blamed in this case. I run a TKO, but have always had a steeda tri-ax on it. It has some mechanism in it that is supposed to guide it into 3rd. It is supposedly almost eliminates missed shifts.

It is a syncronized transmission. It also has internal stops so bending forks is almost impossible even without a aftermarket shifter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts