Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the side of the carb is what I think is the choke mechanism , I have 2 questions about it and would love some help thanks.
1. What type of choke is this ?, if it is the choke
2. I need to remove it to fit my LPG setup to carb is this ok to do ? . I realise I won't have a working choke but i never have had one so far lol.
3 . What sort of carb is this and where do I get a rebuild kit to it please .
Welcome to Flickr!

Thanks

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
On the side of the carb is what I think is the choke mechanism , I have 2 questions about it and would love some help thanks.
Hey Mr. P63,
Yes, that is a Choke Mechanism.

1. What type of choke is this ?, if it is the choke
It appears to be an Automatic Choke that uses what is called a: Choke Heat Chamber Assembly. It works like this:

There is an air intake that takes filtered air from inside the Air Cleaner and routes it to the Choke Heat Chamber Assembly mounted in the Passenger Side Exhaust Manifold.

The Air is heated by passing through the Choke Heat Chamber, and is routed via a tube to an intake on the Choke Assembly Housing.

The HOT Air from the Choke Heat Chamber causes a Bimetallic Spring in the Choke Housing Cap to relax which in turn OPENS the Choke Plate in the Air Horn Assembly on the top of the Carburetor Body.

There is quite a lot more to it than THAT, but that is the basic function of the Automatic Choke.

2. I need to remove it to fit my LPG setup to carb is this ok to do? I realise I won't have a working choke but i never have had one so far lol.
Yes you CAN remove it, but as you say, you will not have a working choke. BUT the Carburetor will still work without the Automatic Choke Mechanism. Also, if you are at all mechanically oriented, you COULD arrange a Manual Choke using a Push/Pull Cable attached to the Choke Plate Lever.

3. What sort of carb is this and where do I get a rebuild kit to it please.
It appears to be an Autolite (or Motorcraft) 2100 Two Venturi (or as the Shop Manual call it: a Ford Dual Carburetor).

Almost any Auto Parts (NAPA, AutoZone, O'Reilly's) Store should be able to supply you with one.

You could also do a Google Search on the Internet for an Autolite 2100 Carburetor Rebuild Kit, and order one from one of the many suppliers of Autolite 2100 Carburetors such as:

Walker Products

Go to the above referenced Website and click on "Shop Online".

You can get individual parts, or whole kits.

You are, of course, welcome.

JC

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fantastic reply , thank you very much. I will check rockauto as they seem to be good to buy from as I'm in England.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Fantastic reply , thank you very much.
Hey Mr. P63,
You are, of course, welcome.

I will check rockauto as they seem to be good to buy from as I'm in England.
So what are you driving. A Galaxie? What Engine? A 390 FE? What year? A picture would be nice.

Hang in there.

JC

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 63 country sedan 289 , the only factory accessory I can see are the two speed wipers :). I did post a pic in show yours post a while back but if you can't find it there Re plenty on my Flickr . I know of 2 others in England so they are quite a rare beast over here.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
It's a 63 country sedan 289,
Hey Mr. P63,
Automatic Transmission? Right or Left hand steering?

the only factory accessory I can see are the two speed wipers :).
A somewhat PURE automobile.

I did post a pic in show yours post a while back but if you can't find it there Re plenty on my Flickr.
Have looked at the "beast". Looks to be in pretty good shape.

I know of 2 others in England so they are quite a rare beast over here.
So HOW did you happen to come into possession of this Galaxie?

Anyway, hope you are well.

JC

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I originally went to look at a 63 falcon wagon that was on eBay, when I saw it in the raw it didn't excite me as it was cream in colour with a tan interior. I turned round and started talking to the vendor about all the 63-64 galaxie's that he had in his garage. He had 6 in total inc a pink pearl 63 vert, the rest were all fastback's . This wagon under a cover as it was his wife's car and only used for weddings and proms only covering 400 miles in 4 years. I fell in love at first sight as I didn't even know there was a galaxie wagon, I bought it on sight without even test driving or hearing it run. This is the first car I have ever owned as I have spent my whole adult life riding/ restoring and tuning lambretta's so I am learning everything from scratch with the help from this great forum .

It has a cruisomatic transmission and is lhd, I have fitted air suspension, a 120amp Audi alternator , a small amp to play my hidden iPod on, a new footwell in rear passenger side and I will be fitting 2 new flat footwells in front compartment next week along with finishing my LPG conversion then it's into paint to be finished ready for spring driving.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
It looks identical to the Motorcraft D3 date code (1973) 2100 that is on my parts car's 289.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
as far as i know it is the original onbe to the engine as there are no signs of newer gaskets anywhere , but i could be wrong .
the engine is the original 63 289 as the engine number and frame number are identical ,the heads even state 289 in them .
heres a better pic of carb

photo by mark & anne's photos, on Flickr

heres a pic of head

looking for oil leak source by mark & anne's photos, on Flickr
pics were small cos i posted of my mobile so it only links to thumbs, bigger pics are on this link
Flickr: mark & anne's photos' Photostream
i now dont need to remove it so i may as well get it working , so does anyone know what i need please .
can anyone state categorically what carb it is so i can get the parts i need with minimum fuss .
is this the place where the heat chamber should be ?

has anyone got a pic of the assembly fitted please so i can see what i need ?.
thanks for all your help gentlemen

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It is a 2150.

If the I.D. TAG is missing, it may have the I.D stamped on the LF carb foot.

The choke stove location is correct.

Why do you have to remove the choke asm to route the fuel line?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
thanks for id'ing the carb .

it has no id plate or stamp on any feet sadly

i dont need to remove it to mount fuel line, i thought i had to remove it to mount airbox for my lpg mixer but i have made a spacer to raise box high enough .

i would like to get choke working if possible but dont know what i need to find to do this.

thanks

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Those are 302 valve covers made AFTER 1967... not 289. Maybe you can get some casting codes off the intake manifold.

But if you're not bothered than I'm not bothered, I do think I see a C3AE casting on the intake, maybe it's just the VC's and carb that were updated. Of course that could be a C8AE casting but the pic is too skewed to tell.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
def c3 not c8 but tbh i really dont mind but it is nice to know the differences so can you explain them please :) .
i would like to get the choke working once my lpg setup is fitted (thursday eve it will be finished) then i have a few further jobs like a complete power steering over haul.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
i have checked and found a few arguments with lots of words saying what they do , i need pics to truly understand as there are a lot of different terms i dont understand .
i will start a new thread on this subject soon ;)

my question is on auto choke mechanisms on my carb on this thread so if anyone has pics/links to sellers of the bits i havent got i would be grateful .
thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts