Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to install my tranny cooler in "project sleeper" tomorrow. got some questions. What is normal operating temps for tranny fluid? When hooking up the cooler should it always be downstream of the cooler in the rad or could it be installed upstream of the cooler in the rad? Having the fluid go through the cooler first before it goes through the cooler in the rad would ensure constant temps for the fluid if it is not a good idea to have the fluid too cold. TIA.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
If you are going to run a mild stall you can run the line into the radiator, out of the radiator into the cooler and out of the cooler back to the transmission. This cools down the fluid in 2 steps with the external cooler in front of the radiator being the coolest step before the fluid goes back to the transmission.

If its a converter with a lot of stall for the drag strip you will probably want to eliminate the radiator cooler altogether and just use the external cooler. The fluid will be so hot coming out of the transmission that it will carry extra heat into the cooling system. You will need a good quality external cooler with enough capacity for the stall you are running. A deeper finned transmission pan will also help.

I spray a little water into the tranny cooler between heats while my fan runs to help cool everything down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Optimal trans fluid temp is around 180*. bad things happen fast when it gets over 230 or so. fluid that is too cool isnt really good on them either. You always want to run a auxillary cooler( fluid-to-air) before the radiator cooler.(fluid passes thru aux first) the reasoning behind this is because fluid to air coolers are more effecient at higher temps. never run an auxilllary cooler by itself on the street. they dont offer enough cooling by themselves to cool a transmission. when run with a radiator cooler, it helps them warm up faster and cools them in times of low airflow.

·
Registered
749 Posts
uummm tranny temps were 210-215 at cruz on the freeway at 75 mph...70^ temp. Im thinking of getting a larger stack plate cooler. I do not use the rad cooler right now. Around town it usually stays 150-180.
Unless you play with the transbrake

·
Registered
32 Posts
210-215 isnt much to worry about. long as it doesnt go much higher. getting it down to 180-190 can only help though. The 230 number i mentioned was just from memory. safe temps may be higher, cant remember exact #. but keeping them lower only improves life of trans.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx for the answers guys, here's one more.......In cold weather conditons (and I'm talking below 32'F, winter time) for ex. would the fluid be too cold if the external cooler is not blocked somehow or is it ok to not worry about it? Could the tranny internals be damaged if the constant temps of fluid is not up to normal operating temps?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got the cooler in, hooked it up so that the fluid runs through the cooler in the rad first then goes through this one.

Already I noticed a difference in my water temps, the engine now doesn't hit 180' unless I'm sitting in stop and go traffic, when driving it's a little below that, so hooking up the external cooler the way I did it really helps to keep everything cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
The most accurate place would be in the pan ,then you actually read the trans temp.If you hook it in to the lines i would go in the return line from the cooler to the trans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts