Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a block here that I can't identify.
It is an FE block.

What I presume to be a date code, near the oil filter:
(Where the _ is, there is a character, but I can't tell what it is.)
W
_D23

On the back of the block, there is a big C, not an A which is what the book says.

I can't seem to find a casting number.

Any ideas? I am frustrated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Can you measure the bore?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
All FE casting #'s are located on the right side of the block, LARGE cast in #'s and letters.
C6MEA is a 1966 390 block.
Your's sounds like a 1970 something likely, very likely a 360 block.

FInd the whole #.

FE

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If you can identify that first digit by the oil filter that would give you the year..The rest would be April 23...Quite often they just look like a blob though,as you have likely discovered..There are 4 machined bosses,(2 on each side) just below the deck surface..Sometimes if you look closely the date code is stamped into the metal..They tend to be on the left side but could be on either..Check all of the machined surfaces on the block if they aren't on the pads.....If its just a bare block you have I would measure the bores...Checking the bore and stroke is really the only sure way to identify most FEs..If its a complete engine that you absolutely know to be original there are other ways to narrow it down(4 barrel or two barrel carb etc)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
It is supposed to be a 428. It's a full engine, so I can't measure the bore/ stroke.
There is supposed to be a 428 stamped under one of the freeze plugs. You guys know which one?

The main thing is I want to prove that it is a 428...
My Ford parts interchange book says that some 428s don't have casting numbers.

Thanks again!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aardvark on 10/30/06 4:30am ]</font>

·
Registered
147 Posts
Maybe, if it's a '66 or later block. "C" blocks before 1966 were mostly 390 blocks. I'd say punch or screw out both center plugs and look for the 428, but that doesn't mean it's a CJ type. Tear it down and compair it to some images to be sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a block buster too. This is supposed to be a 64 390 FE police intercepter.
intake manifold # C4SE8425 and 4C271
back of block # 352
drivers side of block has a few different #
5 DIF
4C31 V
WI
the tappet covers stamped THUNDERBIRD
and says large POLICE with interceptor through the the center of the word police.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can anyone tell me where i might look to find the Horsepower and torque of this factory special ordered motor. She was in a police car, i think he said galaxy 500.

·
Registered
15 Posts
FE ... do you know the where abouts of a reasonably priced, rebuildable FE H.P. motor for my 69 mach1 ? Im looking to paint the car in spring. Or is the PI buildable, or availability to step up a little. my buddy says that the timing is the diff. in the later 60's 390's. im green t this but eager to learn.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts