Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well after putting my rear end back in i have now decided that i want a locker. mainly just for fun, so im not trying to spend a ****load of money if possible.

car is a 69 galaxie with 28 spline 9'' rear, currently has 3.25 open rear end, 351w, fmx.

even a lsd would be nice. im really just trying to have something fun to do 2 wheel burnouts with. and dont want to spend a lot of money if possible

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Detroit Locker. Not exactly cheap but most would argue that they're the best. It's not really something I'd install myself but maybe you're okay with that kind of work. Also, it's not the kind a part that you want to cheap-out on either.

They aren't really intended for daily street driving so don't be surprised when it decides to lock and unlock as you're rounding a sweeping curve at 60 MPH! :eek:

Maybe a better choice is a Trac Loc. Great power distribution to both tires and not noticable otherwise. A true "posi" rearend without the worry. However, if I were going back to a full locker, a Detroit Locker would be my choice though.

John

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Just put in a new tlock center for about $325.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i just looked at those. 325 is still a little more than i was hoping to spend so im going to hold off in hopes to find a used one. thanks for the suggestions guys

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Ditto the other responses. Detroit Soft Locker is my choice for street and strip, including high-hp with slicks. No noisy clicking in turns like the original Detroit Locker, but just as strong. The Torsen falls into the same category. A DIY version of the Detroit that works very well is the Richmond No-Slip, and it is installed with hand tools in your original differential case, so no gear setting or anything. Almost as expensive as the Detroit for the basic unit, but considerably cheaper overall as there is no pro-level full installation necessary. The Trac-Lok limited slip from Ford is a good design for power after 1970 (the earlier version called Equa-Loc) for holding tight on launch if the tires are fairly equally loaded and you're giving it lots of torque. That one requires full installation like the Detroit.

Another option is the Eaton Lock Right locker. They are a bit less (~$300), and work well if installed properly with decent used parts in your open diff similar to the Richmond unit. Maybe a 2 hour job. Some have had issues if their original parts are too worn though, and so it gets mixed reviews. Then you have your cheap and very cheap options that are not generally recommended - the mini spool (no differential action at all), and the "fake posi" made famous by eBay sellers, where extra thrust washers are jammed in behind the side gears, binding the gears, and acting like a limited-slip for a while. I suggest one of the first three as the others have, but it will require some precision tools to do yourself (except the No-Slip), and pro help will not be cheap if you go that route.

Notice the options not only go in descending order of favor, but in price as well. This is one area you do tend to get what you pay for.

David

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where are you finding the eaton lock rights for 300? i cant find them for anywhere near that price

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Most everywhere, like Summit for example. They are still listed as PowerTrax, so that may help the search.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts