Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy some canfield heads this year, for my 351 W.
I heard to get a good head with some flow out of the box.
This is the way I will go but need some more informations about choosing a cam that will match my other parts.
I have the RPM intake and KB-flattop pistons.

I am not sure about using a solid or hydraulic cam.
The car is a 67 Mustang , c4 tranny ,3.00 rear .Street/Strip
I started that discussion before but it was not finished .
Want to hear what you profs think and prefer

Thanks for input

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I suppose you're installing the 351W in your 67'. Be careful of heads with non-stock exhaust port heights... because this can cause problems with header fitment. To be safe, you might want to consider a head with a stock exhaust port height. The best head I know of in this class is the AFR 185. They come from the factory with a top quality CNC port job, and are tough to beat.

You might want to check them out.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are theire better "class" heads ?
I thought canfields are one of the best heads for full streetable weekend racer.
Tell me more .

·
Registered
314 Posts
The canfields are good heads, but as Mike pointed out they can be trouble due to the raised exhaust port. Not an issue on a late model Mustang, but header slection for an early Mustang is very limited with a 351W. The exhaust ports are raised from the stock location by a good bit. .400? I think. That might not seem like much, but the header fit is so tight that almost 1/2 an inch matters.

I have a 351W (stroked to 383) in my 69 with Hooker #6208 headers (the best off the shelf 351W header for an early Mustang). They fit well, but no way would they fit with a .400" lift. If I were able to get headers that fit, I would ditch my Windsor Sr's and have a set of original Street Heat's on my motor in a second.

The AFR's are good, especially for a streetable car. They flow alot out of the box. Good choice for plug n play.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
from my discussions with John at Canfield, their heads raise the headers up 0.200", he assures me that is very minimal and is not a concern with header issues.

As you all know canfields are the cylinder head of choice for my project and Dave C knows that I have the 6208 hooker headers to use with them. It's when you start to go radical with raised ex. ports on heads that you will have to worry about specific headers to use with them on your vehicle whatever that vehicle might be.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
if you guys haven't checked it already go here:

http://www.canfieldheads.com/sbf_ac.html#

click on "instructions" and read point #6 which states:

"Exhaust ports are raised .400" higher then stock. Heads are machined for standard bolt pattern and 3" spread pattern. When installed it will raised the headers .200 in the engine bay."

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, now that is clear.
I read all about the canfield heads before, but I dont know what cam(solid/hydro) will match intake and pistons for the street/strip application.
I know the best is to get a complete roller-setup but that is not my way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You really need to change the gear to 3.73 or higher to take advantage of good flowing heads and complementary cam. I would recommend an Ultradyne 280/288 hydraulic flat tappet cam for your combo providing you change the gear and have a 2500-3000 stall. It has 223/231 duration @.050 and .494/.517 lift. Have them grind it on a 108 Lobe seperation. If your converter is stock and you stay with the 3.00 gear, you are better off staying with the stock heads as you won't be able to take full advantage of the additional airflow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts