Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a set of these to raise one corner one inch. Can't figure it out though. Seems like when the car bounces back the spring will stretch and could could pop out of the groove. Have I got it set up right?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
they wont 'pop' out, unless you can somehow totally unload the spring and still most of the time wont just fall/pop out... you will be fine....

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Or these. Since you already have the bolted type, just be sure to install them at full suspension extension (jacked-up). They can't fall out that way. You have them assembled correctly in your pic, and you'll tighten the silver nuts on the right first to lock that side to the bolts. Then install between the coils and adjust the left silver nuts out so it's firmly in-place. Lower the car and check the height. If it needs more, jack it back up and expand the left nuts out some more. Use two sets per spring if possible, and adjust the nuts fairly evenly.

David

PS: Don't forget, your alignment will affect your ride height. It is very unusual for one spring to sag more than the other in a set. We use those clamps/expanders on drag cars to temporarily raise or lower the front to check for final height for best launch, then mod the springs, mounts or whatever to get the final best height without them.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got some of those rubber ones first but couldn't figure them out either. Do you think it's me??

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pic, Kul. Must be a common problem but I have the solution :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
personally I would opt for the rubber ones too if they are going to be in there for any length of time...
I would expect the stress on the coils to be really concentrated with the steel ones compared to the squishy ones...we put a set of the full wrap rubber spacers in my sons mark vii, even with the springs out, using a compressor outwards to stretch the coils, they are a royal bear to install...raised the car up ok till we can locate some better springs(converted from airsprings), but definitely not fun to pop in... they make little 1" long rubber ones too, surely easier to install than the foot long ones, but dunno how much lift youd get- but just keep adding more till its level.

on our 65, the rear had a bit of sag, and a little lower on the drivers side, I put airshocks on and bought a extra line kit to fill each side as needed...20 and 40 psi both raised and levelled it...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Thanks for the pic, Kul. Must be a common problem but I have the solution :rolleyes:
That is showing a spring after using spacers and/or a hot wrench.

The spacers stiffen the coil immediately where it (they) are placed creating an area(s) that does not flex (hardened) as designed.

A better solution would be to design a spring jack as used on stock cars in the old days to vary ride height/spring stiffness (or coil-overs $$$).

Just bringing the subject up. As mentioned, your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Springs are pretty cheap, so why not just replace the coils?

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Springs are pretty cheap, so why not just replace the coils?
X2...
i got a pair...from rockauto...
can't rember ,but belive it was $90...

no point in farting around with these jerry rigg contraptions....;)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I agree with new springs..... But to his defense think he is just having a problem with one corner of the auto...

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
I agree with new springs..... But to his defense think he is just having a problem with one corner of the auto...
then, why not fix it correctlly ...
since its one of the low buck fixes....
and will last for years to come...:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts