Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been lurking for a while and have an issue that searching hasn't solved. I have a 67 Fairlane 500 4 door w/ 4 wheel drum non-power brakes. At this time I have no desire to upgrade to disk. On my front brakes, the shoes/drums are shot and need to be replaced. The problem is I can only find the 10x2.25" shoes, but not the drums. Everywhere I look, it seems that the only drums available are the 10x2.5" fronts.

Also, it appears that the hub is built into my drums. Is this right, or are they separate pieces and mine are just rusted together? I ask because the 2.5" wide drums I got sent don't have the hub included.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the front drums have the hubs and the rear drums don't. I also think there are three widths of drum/shoe sizes so they have to match. I went to Autozone to get my drums/shoes and had no problems but i converted over to front disc only awhile back and can't wait to do the back brakes as well.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The drums on my 66 were snug on the hub, but they were not a single piece. If the bearing hub gets rusty or banged up, it can be very difficult to separate the drum. I can't say if the different width brakes used different backing plates. I'm switching to disc.

·
Registered
734 Posts
wondered the same on my 67 as well before i converted to disk. (strongly advise, best choice ever)

what i did, is take off the shoes and take em i to a parts store that i know has em in stock. and see which they are.

or buy both ans return the ones that are wrong size. after compareing.

DIIIIISSSSK BRRRAAAAKKEES SWWOOOPPP!

DO IT! u dont even need new spindles. almost all the parts for the swop u can find at the parts store for those 67s.

oh and add a booster.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I know you said you have no interest but...CHANGE TO DISK. Its not as bad as you think.

I used mostly 65 Mustang disk parts, they all swap over. Buy the caliper conversion brackets from NPD. And use a MC for a 67 Mustang with DB.

I never felt so unsafe in my life with 4 drum manual brakes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts