Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm scratching my head on this. I haven't had to pull/install a key cylinder into switch for year. I know the trick to get a key cylinder out but can't seem to be able to get this one to go in. The outside trim ring is fastened to the Ignition switch. When I push the key (which is in the cylinder) and push in it won't go 100% of the way. I am making sure that I line up openings plus the piece at end of key cylinder is lined up with ignition switch. When I push in it won't turn. All pieces are NORS.

Any thoughts? Install is with 62 and or 63 parts.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
Been so long I have trouble remembering if there is a trick to it or not. Would you need the pin in the little hole just like when removing the tumbler then insert and remove the pin?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried that too but no luck. the piece at bottom of key cylinder needs to line up with hole in ignition and turn. It won't turn. I keep playing with it, adjusting,etc... with no luck.

·
Registered
396 Posts
fakesnake, just sent you a PM if the below doesn't work

just completed this 20 min. ago. Push in on the cylinder when you are turning it back, there is spring pressure that is giving resistance and if you don't put pressure when turning the cyl. it won't lock in.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Simple Simple Fake, you're cool. Rotate the inner part of 'IGN switch' all the way LEFT, Turn key all the way left, align up the tumbler key's with the slot, slide in and twist key left and right while slightly pushing to seat the ignition into the switch, it will link up then seat and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i figured it out! To release key you insert something into pinhole and turn key to right. To insert key you insert something into pinhole and turn key to left.

I wasn't inserting anything into pinhole. Doh!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had asked you if you'd done that and seen if it worked, thought you said you had. Glad you got it concurred!
I knew how to do that to release key but was turning it the same way to install it as well. Oh well. Live and learn. One problem down, 99 more to tackle on car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts