Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
331 stroker with 281 hyd roller cam. when engine was on dyno they set the timing at 18 initial and the total was 32. The engine starts ok but not great and runs good, But it seems like I cant hear the cam as well as some of the other engines I have had in the past with smaller cams. Someone told me that its because theres to much initial timing and that if it was backed off the engine would sound more lumpy so to speak. So the question is is 18 initial to much especially if you are running 32 total degrees? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I would say the amount of initial timing it will like depends on the exact combo..The best way to see what it likes it just trial and error..

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
What FE said, what's your idle RPM? Although even with my car's idle set at 900 or so it's still pretty rough so unless your're running your idle speed really high that's probably not it. Also what are the rest of your cam specs?

I could be wrong here but it be a tighter lobe seperation on the cam too making it sound "softer".

John

·
Registered
241 Posts
Valves over adjusted a touch? Way too much is obvious, but 1/8 of a turn made mine sound a little soft. And like 65falconlover said, your lsa with a roller cam may be wider. Also, what Fe said.
Also, more info please. Get your vacuum gauge out

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The purpose of selecting a cam is select one that works well with the rest of the setup...not by how it sounds. That's an easy way to end up very unhappy with engine performance if you don't have the prerequisites that go with the chosen cam

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah, if you run 10 degrees advance and make it idle rich as snot, it'll sound great and run like crap. If you had it tuned at the dyno, I'd leave it alone for performance's sake.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Here's another thought. You mention it's a 331 stroker with a "281" roller cam. What are the other cam specs along with the rest of the build. Head type, intake, compression, exhaust type, etc. All the cam in the world isn't going to work with low compression (not enough for the cam) and therefore may not sound right. Does that make sense? :confused:

If it's not all built to work together the end result will disappoint you every time.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts