Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i start the 82 mustang cold it reads 45psi on the oil gauge as it warms up it starts dropping all the way down to about zero.
There is no grinding noise, no oil leaks , no smokey exhaust.
So i tried a different oil gauge and same thing. Then i drained the oil (no metal shavings) added thicker weight oil, same thing. with the motor running i removed the valve cover, hardly any oil come up through the push rods barely out. and that was when the gauge still showed 20 psi. On my other mustang if i take a valve cover off it is squirting oil all over.

So do i have a bad or busted oil pump?

Should i remove the intake? and check the oil gallery plug?

or pull the pan and check the oil pump?

Or is it something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: my6882stang on 9/13/06 1:05pm ]</font>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like it going to be a expensive fix.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: my6882stang on 9/13/06 12:29pm ]</font>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention, I was messing with the distributer today also. I pulled it out and the oil pump shaft came out with the distributer? is that normal?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Well, in my case symptoms similar to yours first meant that I forgot to put the lifter galley oil plug in (duh!) then after fixing that the oil pressure (75lbs) pushed out one of the two galley plugs in the front of the block. This was on a fresh build.

Is this a high mile engine or a recent build?

Murff

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
On 2006-09-12 22:03, my6882stang wrote:
I forgot to mention, I was messing with the distributer today also. I pulled it out and the oil pump shaft came out with the distributer? is that normal?
As far as I know the shaft shouldn't come out with the dizzy? is it all the way back in... Might have to pull the pan and redo the pump..

tim

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
On 2006-09-12 22:03, my6882stang wrote:
It can happen from old oil build-up on the shaft.

There isn't a c clip holding it inside the block from the bottom is there... Or rather "was there?" I can't remember my 302's that well at the moment... THe shaft should be removeabe from the top and sometimes stuck in the dist but is it twisted or broken? I doubt it...

FE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FALCONAROUND on 9/13/06 10:35pm ]</font>

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
The shaft should not come out with the dist. There should be a clip retaining it in the block.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Unless the c clip was left off during the build... Or would that have caused diffrent issues long before now?

FE

·
Registered
11 Posts
As said above the shaft *should* not come out. there is a clip that holds it in the pump. Since the shaft came out *somebody* didn't put the clip on the shaft. Usually this occurs when somebody reassembles a engine and forgets to put the shaft in untill they have the oil pan on. Then they get lazy and don't want to do it the right way..which is to remove the pan and pump. so they *cheat* and take the clip off and silicone/glue/etc it to the end of the dizzy. Then they get rid of the car and the unsuspecting new owner pulls the dizzy and the shaft comes with it.

Sorry for the rant..small petpeve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts