Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 1965 Galaxie LTD with a 352 and Holley 4 barrel. I just picked her up last month, and I've been struggling to get her running right. Now she won't start. I replaced the plugs, wires, distrib cap, condensor, points, and she was running, but still not perfect. I adjusted the timing and got the vacuum advance working too. I had just set the timing to 8 before tdc, and I took for a drive, about 2 miles to test it out. I put her back in the garage and looked at a few things, and when I went to look at the timing, she wouldn't start. I tried starter fluid, not even a pop. I still have spark, and I'm sure it's getting air. We've had a suspicion about the timing chain all along, so we tore into it tonight. The chain appeared rather new, and the marks lined up nicely on the gears. We're kind of stumped now, and would appreciate a little help.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Have you checked to be sure you're getting good fuel flow? Sometimes there's enough to maybe squirt in the carb once or twice but not enough else to keep it going. Clogged fuel fliter or pump quit or even clogged at the fuel tank pick up. I'd get a little container or plastic coke bottle and remove the fuel line from the carb or somewhere after the fuel pump put line into bottle then turn it over a few times to see if it's pumping fuel good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked to be sure you're getting good fuel flow? Sometimes there's enough to maybe squirt in the carb once or twice but not enough else to keep it going. Clogged fuel fliter or pump quit or even clogged at the fuel tank pick up. I'd get a little container or plastic coke bottle and remove the fuel line from the carb or somewhere after the fuel pump put line into bottle then turn it over a few times to see if it's pumping fuel good.
Yeah thanks, we put it all back together, and now were suspecting fuel. We can get her started and running if we open the throttle plates and spray in starter fluid, and we'll be sure to check the filter and pump.

Thanks.
Joe

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Check the hose from the hard line to the fuel tank too. It might have a crack in it so you're getting air. And i don't know bout anyone else but i always forget about that short piece of hose way back there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts