Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having problems stopping in my mustang lately. Even slamming on the brakes I can't lock up the tires and it takes a l o n g time to stop and I can really feel that the brakes are not grabbing all around. The rear rotors are an SSB kit and are slightly warped, from leaving the E brake on for a while one time, but the pads are new and the front pads and rotors are just fine. I plan on replacing the rear rotors soon but it seems like there should be more stopping power regardless. The pedal is not spongy at all. Everything feels normal but the car just won't stop. What else could be wrong? Could the small warp be causing such a big problem?

·
Registered
123 Posts
overal brake system could be too small. remember the smaller the bore in the master cyl. the more pressure..the bigger the bore on the caliper the higher the pressure. maybe you should go with a polmatrix b or d pad if one is available for you aplication.
maybe even try the hawk black/blue pads. good luck, ron.

oh yah, maybe try afco racing for application. maybe contact through rmp.net

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Sounds like you are not getting enough line pressure - i just read it takes 800 - 1000psi for disc brakes to operate properly. This could be caused by a few things - wrong master cylinder. no, or incorrect, valving, etc.

I highly recommend you talk to www.mpbrakes.com, they really know their stuff and can make some suggestions. Their catalog has good decision trees on how to diagnose this stuff too.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Have you replaced the rubber hoses for the brakes at any time. My line of thought is that the rubber lines are expanding when you push on the brakes, therefore not applying enough pressure. It is just a thought, but you might want to replace them. Good Luck.

Ben

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is thier enough brake fluid?? Try to bleed the brake lines. If thier is air in the line it doesnt get enough pressure. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts