Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put an alarm in my car, I want to spend between 300-500 bucks. One problem I have is my door locks are possessed, when I changed the door panels I fixed them and they worked perfectly, of course once I put the freaking panels back on, they started screwing up again. They unlock, most of the time, but somedays they stick. Should I get new locks and go with lock type alarm? Or is there another alternative?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I just leave mine open headers in the Driveway now (I have cut outs, so it is a 30 second job for me)
I am sure the City will be awake when it is started
If I leave it anywhere for a period of time, I pull the coil wire. A quick fix for anyone that REALLY wants the car.

Jeff Given

·
Programmer
856 Posts
I installed a Viper car alarm in to my 66, by myself. (If you do it yourself, one problem you will have is finding a shop that will sell you the brain). By the agreement to viper, etc, they must technically install it. ANyways. You have two options with your alarm. Either fix the door switches, and hook them up to the alarm, or don't hook them up at all. If you hook them up, possessed, your alarm will be going off all by itself. Another neat trick I did with my alarm is I hooked the starter-kill relay up to the spark. Meaning my car will crank all day long when the alarm is going off. But it will not start. I figured if you install it the normal way, where your car doesn't crank, then thats a dead giveaway that you have a starter-kill function.

Chris

·
Registered
330 Posts
I was thinking of instaling a "LOW-JACK" system in my car...I have yet to research it. I think it would be better than an alarm, because what do you do when you hear an alarm? NOTHING!
Anyway, today for starters I put some Mr. Gasket hood locks, not lock-downs, but actuall locks to prevent any punks from messing with my motor.
LMK what you decide 2 do.
Later-
matt

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Lo Jack you can't install yourself. Part of their security, if you will, is that only a professional Lo Jack installer can install it.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I put a nice AST alarm in my torino, It triggers on my hood opening, either of my doors opening, as soon as i hook it up, my trunk opening. It also has a dual stage shock sensor. I also had electric door locks installed, which are very cool. It also has ignition/starter kill on it, and has expandability for another sensor, like motion or something. I can also turn on my stereo with it, not needing my keys in the ignition to listen to the radio. It was 500 with the door solenoids and installation at a shop here, well worth it. I wish I had installed it *before* my stereo was stolen.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Holy cow Billgear, 40lbs a week, my 2 dogs only go thru 40 every 2 weeks, plus a can between them for dinner, and all the crap the kids leave on the floor, (left over food, toys, etc.) What kind of dog is it.

Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts