Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, just picked up a '66 Custom 500 2-door sedan. Been lurking here a while and like seeing a lot the info collected here. One thing I want to find sometime soon is a good quality car cover. I know that Griots Garage supposedly had top notch stuff. They are expensive as heck! Anyone using a car cover that can recommend something? My 2 car garage is not long enough to house my new addition, but want to keep it nice and clean when I'm not driving. Thanks for any input!

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
A friend of mine uses the California Car covers on his outside cars. Snowy weather included but they too are spendy for the ones he bought. Forgot which one now but one of the top priced ones for all weather. It has been a few years and at the time it was in the 200-300 range

·
Registered
112 Posts
Saw some 7 layer ones on eBay... 50-60$ I think... Don't know about quality but that's more in my price range than the high end models... I'm sure you get what you pay for as usual though.. Let us know what you decide on as I'm also looking for a cover thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
The problem with using a cover outdoors is that the wind will bang it against the car and can rub spots in the paint and finish. You either have to keep it out of the wind somehow (carport with sides for example), or make sure it's tight and well anchored.

Good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I purchased the 7 layer one from ebay last spring. It has kept the car dry & so far has survived sitting on the car outside during a cold & windy upstate NY winter with no issues. I do strap it down to the car to minimize movement from wind.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Advice:

NEVER USE A CAR COVER IN THE RAIN OR IN THE SNOW.

You are simply begging to HARBOR all that build up moisture under the cover and start degrading your car from the inside out.

UNCOVER IT in the RAIN!

Other than that you're fine.

If you don't believe me lay on the ground 4 day's after a rain and look UP at the car and tell me what you see... It's called water clinging to a lot of the car....

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you come fix my leaking rear window I would love to uncover it! Or build me a garage! That would solve all of the problems!!

:tup:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I have found that car covers are like rain coats. You put them on and as soon as it stops raining you take it off and dry everything.
I use a cotton cover on my car INDOORS only. And never tow a car with a cover on unless you want your paint sanded for you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If I'm not mistaken a breathable cover does not allow water or moisture accumulate under it. Those that use, for example, the blue tarp type covers are asking for their car to be lost to rust.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I leaned the hard way about high-quality breathable covers and moisture. While it breathes, it still traps humidity, and one of my cars was heavily coated on the inside with mold after just a few weeks. Having used many kinds over many years; I am done with covers. Folks also get a bit busy, and either do not cover the car, or do not take it off when they should.

My suggestion for easy and without most down-sides is a car port. The framed tent-style ones are going for good prices at places like Costco. Not only do you only put it up once, but you just drive it in to park, and it can be used for sun or rain protection when doing basic or minor service. If you get heavy snow in your area, be sure to get one rated for your snow load.

There are also build-it-yourself car port kits from some of the home improvements stores. Like a shed with 1/2 walls. They usually do not need any permits in most areas. FWIW

David

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
The shotrod was covered with plastic years ago, not by me, and there were toadstools growing in the carpet! I took a sheet of peg board and set it on top then the plastic and it dried up and the shrooms died. But I don't care much for covers myself but did use a tarp when i basically had no top to keep the rain out.

It looked like this. The duct tape was to try to seal the cracks and holes so i wouldn't have to cover it but duct tape just isn't what it used to be!
old top.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bunch of great info, thanks!
I saw the ones on ebay but like you also say, I subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" statement.
Where I live we dont get snow. What my primary concern is is bird crap and stuff (pollen and material) form neighboring trees. The bird crap is terrible as they eat berries and what gets on the car is LOTS of purple/black grainy stuff. The tree material is not as bad, but it adds to the issue.
My car is too long for my 2-car garage and I do not have a side yard so I do not think a tent is a good option at this point (I do like them though, just wont currently work).
I will have to get a decent cover, strap it down well and remember to remove it during the rain.
Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I use Covercraft for my cover, a thick one, Nomex? material maybe? Love it though. Mine only is used indoors during long periods like winter to keep dust etc off. I'd recommend it for sure, I think it's suited for outdoors and is very soft on the paint (wind rub).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts