Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 64 with 390 and Holley 600. While driving at rpm's at or under 1500 car does ok. When I start getting into the gas it falls on its face and popping comes from the carb. If it does happen to get moving above 1500 it rocks front to back like its cutting out again, but without popping. This is usually at around 60 mph.
Any suggestions what to start looking at? Carb? Distributer? Coil? Ect..

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Sounds like a lean condition to me... (carb issue) MO of course.

HTH

MRO.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't find out how to raise the float level. I have no screws on bowl except for idle mixture screws. The model is 80457-8 and the manual says nothing.

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just because it doesn't have an external adjustment does not mean the float is not adjustable. It just means it requires bowl removal to do so. I've never seen a carburetor that came out of the box perfect. Anytime I get a used carburetor I rebuild it before I even attempt to use it, and anytime I get a new carburetor I disassemble it and check all the settings and screws and jets for proper installation, as well as to get any flashing or crap out of them. You would be surprised what you will find in a new carburetor. If you are not comfortable taking the bowl off and adjusting the floats find someone who can do it for you. You also may want to check your fuel pressure because your pump may be getting weak and about to go.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If it was good before, most likely Float level is good. Most likely a block of some kind, dirt in valve, block in fuel line (filter inline). Check easy stuff before taking carb apart. Use a fuel pressure gauge to see what you have at carb fuel Line inlet.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
If it was good before, most likely Float level is good. Most likely a block of some kind, dirt in valve, block in fuel line (filter inline). Check easy stuff before taking carb apart. Use a fuel pressure gauge to see what you have at carb fuel Line inlet.
X2.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I guess I'm blind because I don't see where the OP said it was fine the day before. I've had clogged fuel filters do the same thing.

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Fuel filters and i had a fuel pump do it once also. Took me over a month to figure out what the problem was as it didn't do it all the time. Cars can drive a person batty sometimes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts