Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will idle fine sometimes and other times idle rough.... the timing is set right and the carb mixture should be right it was just adjusted.. It will idle at 700 in park and 500 in drive and then sometimes 900 in park and 750 in drive.. what gives??? RICk

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
is the choke set correctly. Next thought would be a vacuum leak. Cover the carb with your hands or a towel...does it still run? should die immediately, otherwise you have air getting in somewhere.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I'm with admin. It kind of sounds vacuum related. Is your advance tied to ported or manifold. If you've got it on manifold/full vacuum and you have a gasket leak or something it would make your idle to weird things. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Make sure the vaccum diaphram isnt ruptured.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Might also check your timing. It is possible for the advance to hang up, and this will change your idle speed as well. I had the mechanical advance stick on a duraspark dist. one time, and the problem showed up like yours.

Good luck!

Greg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok that all sounds good, but here is more food for thought... My car was overheating quite a bit... So to solve this problem I got a new radiator, milodon high flow water pump, high flow 160 thermostat, and a trans cooler, and now the temp. gauge goes from 130 to 160 degrees cause its winter.... I drove the car to park it for storage wouldn't stay idling when I 1st started it to leave then I got it to go and drove it to the garage 10 miles approx. and when I got their it idled great what the hell is going on... oh yeah I don't have any choke system right now.... thanx rick

·
Registered
63 Posts
A choke will really help keep the car going when you first start it up. Also, I would swap in a 180* thermostat and see if that helps you idle. It sounds like the engine isn't reaching running temp.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would say at least 180* for street driving. An engine that runs too cold will generate more friction and wear out components faster than a warmer engine. Also, cold running engines seem to build up more dirt and gunk for some reason.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Since you dont really specify when it idles rough , you have me thinking its in the morning or when first started up.In your last post you said with the new thermostat the car runs around 130-160 which is damn cold. op. temp should be somewhere around 180-210.A choke could also help on cold start ups.I dont have a choke on my Holley so when I fire it up I just hold it around 1500 rpm to get some heat in it.
If it is idleing rough when it is warmed up I would suspect a vac. leak or timing like the others said.
Bob

·
Registered
398 Posts
Do you have power brakes? If so, the booster may be leaking. Plug all your vacuum lines to everything and see if there are any changes in how the engine runs.

I know these problems can be real pissers but you'll find it!

Greg P

Soon to be 466/C6

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Greg P on 12/24/01 10:05pm ]</font>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts