Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 66stang's 302 is finally showing signs of failure. It has been smoking, and I recently changed the crusty valve seals, which helped a lot. THen, I changed my oil this weekend, and it started smoking again in plumes. I guess the rings are screwed. I checked my cylendar walls and they are as smooth as a baby's butt... My friend wants to help me rebuild it this weekend, he simply wants to leave the engine in the car, pull the heads/oil pan, and pull the pisons out and leave the crank in there. He wants to put stock rings back on, after honing the block. I have two questions. Will honing this block be enough, or should i have it bored .030 over? Second, are stock rings okay, or should I get aftermarket moly rings or something? This engine will see 5500 down the track quite a few times... Thanks...

Any advice or input you guys have would be great...

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Run your fingernail up the side of the cylinder wall.If you can feel a ridge at the top of the cylinder its rebore time.I also wouldn't recommend not dissassembling the motor before honing it.The new rings may help with the smoking for a while but it will be a short term solution If your cylinders or pistons are worn out.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
hey bob,
you know you cant rebuild an engine that way. I suspect your friend may have helped you in the past -and thus you have the problems you have now

Seriously, you need to pull the motor and have it bored over. Just because your cylinder wall are smooth does not mean much, the bores are probably worn beyond specs and the rings not sealing. New rings will help -for 10,000 miles, then you'll be doing it again.

Drive your 6cyl that you got, and in the meantime pull the motor and go have it rebuilt.

later

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is what you call a patch for a time!!This won't get you trips down the track,soo, save your money and do it right the first time!! Did the same thing you did 15 years ago and found out the car was no faster and put a rebuilt motor in it anyway!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.