Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fired up the 302 with C-4 today. One click
Engine seems to be ok; smooth. Problem started when I shifted Drive or Reverse
The car didn't move. Am I right in suspecting that it has something to do with linkage? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
do you have tranny fluid in the tranny, the linkage could be out of alignment, did you take it off at all. if you drained it and changed the convertor, there probably isnt enuff fluid in it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked fluid before starting and found out half-empty(half-full). Put this "Allison C-4" fluid I mentioned in another post. I will take a look at the linkage tomorrow. No more strength left for today. Thanks Dark

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I hope this didn't happen to you, but a few years ago I pulled my engine and when I put it back in I didn't get the torque converter on the last 1/4". I got the flexplate bolts on and I figured I could just tighten the bell housing bolts to snug it up. I ended up cracking the pump in my transmission.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Arent you supposed to check the fluid at operating temp while in Park? Well, I hope what happened to yours is not what happened to mine. Do you have reverse?

Jeff GIven

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
The oil level is not that critical at this stage as long as there is oil there.I'd say it's time to put a pressure gauge on the test port and see what you got.That will give you a starting point to perhaps find the problem..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg, I am hoping it's just a loose linkage. I feel the shifter is too soft. Feels like it's not engaging anything. I'll check tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts