Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok drove the car til i shut it off at a friends house went out wouldnt start... got it started with the sylinoid an got it home. i bought a new ignition sitch didnt work. my starter is fine my battery is good i dont know what to do at this point.. if it were a starter relay would i have been able to tap the sylinoid an start it? this is why im lost

·
Registered
157 Posts
did you cross the solenoid to start it?
If So Get a Test light Pull The Small Ignition Wire Off solenoid And Have someone Turn the key as if to start to See if there;s power?
If there is;U need a "Sylinoid";)

if there isn;t power get back to us..
Is Car Automatic? try shifter in neutral..

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
The power comes from the ignition on a red wire with blue stripe. Goes first to the NSS ($50) at the base of the steering column. Then to the "S" terminal on the relay ($15) on the inner fender near the battery.

If you are not getting power at the relay like Pinto says it is the neutral starting switch like Dave says. You can bypass the NSS and if the car starts, search through the threads here for ways to adjust it so it works correctly. If you are getting power at "S" terminal but the car won't start, be sure the relay is well grounded to the fender. Then put the key on "run" and bring some + power directly to the "S" terminal. If that starts it the problem was the relay.
If it still doesn't start check the tightness of the battery terminals or jump the battery using a running car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts