Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a carburetor adapter that one can use to place a 4100 on a aftermarket intake ....289. What I have heard is that a Boss 302 spacer will work to seal the flange on the base of the carburetor. Another option is replace the Edelbrock performer to a Weiand Stealth....I have heard the mounting area is larger... Or place the stock one back on...And I think that Edelbrock has some various metal plates that may work. Would like to try this 4100 unit on the engine..Only 480cfm, but I think it will work well .Any suggestions

Greg

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Is there a carburetor adapter that one can use to place a 4100 on a aftermarket intake ....289. What I have heard is that a Boss 302 spacer will work to seal the flange on the base of the carburetor. Another option is replace the Edelbrock performer to a Weiand Stealth....I have heard the mounting area is larger... Or place the stock one back on...And I think that Edelbrock has some various metal plates that may work. Would like to try this 4100 unit on the engine..Only 480cfm, but I think it will work well .Any suggestions

Greg
big difference between a spacer and adapters . get a spacer

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Is there a carburetor adapter that one can use to place a 4100 on a aftermarket intake ....289. What I have heard is that a Boss 302 spacer will work to seal the flange on the base of the carburetor. Another option is replace the Edelbrock performer to a Weiand Stealth....I have heard the mounting area is larger... Or place the stock one back on...And I think that Edelbrock has some various metal plates that may work. Would like to try this 4100 unit on the engine..Only 480cfm, but I think it will work well .

Any suggestions

Greg
For some reason, EDELBROCK cast the carb mounting pad very narrow @ the sides and this generally causes a vacuum leak with a square-bore carb other than their own (this is a square-bore intake correct?).

Research This-

EDELBROCK #2732

·
Registered
691 Posts
Speaking of 4100's (and I hope you don't mind a little hijacking here) I myself am looking for a 4100, I have a very good shape 1406 to trade, or just buy it off of someone... I heard they are very good offroad as they don't flood out as bad.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I may have one I could swap for a 1406. I do like the 4100 even better though. How about I find one you can afford? There is a couple in Seattle a guy sells or around $70 bucks each...
Craigslist search ford carb.
Mostly I wanted to test it out... hopefully a good working one so I don't get a biased opinion of one. All I can find for under $100 is some dusty relic that was probably taken off because it ran like $Heet... I could pop down to auto zone and have a new one for $290 but :eek: thats slightly steep for just trying out.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
I don't think a spacer or that square plate will work, but you can make your own. Cut the outside to match the 4100 (or spacer) and the inside to match the intake gasket.

Here is a pic. I used 1/4 or 3/8" ply but recommend something thicker. Or use sheet metal if you have the tools to cut it smooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I don't think a spacer or that square plate will work...
:confused:

Please expound as to why you feel the plate will not work. It is made expressly for the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
It may on some but not all. Here is an underside pic of my 4100 spacer. The PCV flange will protrude outside the square plate. This will allow air to be sucked into the spacer and thus into the intake.

Do you see the flange on the wooden one that I posted? That's to cover the opening in the spacer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Putts, that plate you built isn't necessary as you can see here. The primaries will only draw vacuum from the center of the 4 venturi of the carb, and from just in front of the primaries in the space behind the power valve cover plate. And the secondaries only draw vacuum from between each other.

A spacer plate will not be invasive to running a 4100, and they even make them WITH the vacuum tube access in them.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

Does this spacer have to be made from pressure treated wood to prevent it from being eaten by fuel and engine vapors?

What is that red substance around that vacuum source behind the carb plenum?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts

Does this spacer have to be made from pressure treated wood to prevent it from being eaten by fuel and engine vapors?

What is that red substance around that vacuum source behind the carb plenum?
plate made from a tree. not if it made from a metal tree
or if you have a money tree , then you can buy one already made

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

Is that a supposed heat shield under the top cover?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The RED stuff is the Chevy mechanic band aid that not one Chevy motor in the entire WORLD is missing.
I was thinking he was burning EXXON and those were latent Tiger Hairs that were not fully ingested...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
LOL Kult... was an independent station that I remember from back in the day that had a sign out front that said "Fill up here and get the tiger hair out of your tank".... usually during one of the gas war weeks....

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It was ESSO back then. They changed their corporate name to EXXON years later.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
And they reportedly gave/sold 2.5m of these to add to your car at the gas cap..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts